• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bruce4582

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was recently fired for a racist joke that I had said where I work. An employee was talking about a car commercial that represented black people. My joke was that they couldn't afford that car. One of the employees stared back at me when I said it, knowing that he was offended by what I had said I said sorry it was just a joke. A couple days later i was texted to call into work. The manager informed me that I would no longer be working there because of what I had said. Apparently the person who was offended was half black and complained to the management. During my phone call the manager told me that I was doing a good job, but since he complained he had to do something. The manger also said that he would try to smooth things over, and possibly get me a job at another location, but never called me back. I work in a kitchen and things are very laid back and jokes and comments are made all the time. My brother-in-law is black as well as 2 nephews, I am far from a racist. I was wondering if I was wrongfully terminated and if their is anything I could do about the situation? I feel that I was treated unfairly and that the management favored the employee who complained, who has worked there longer than I have.

justalayman

no, this is not a wrongful termination. Michigan is an employment at will state which means, either the employer or employee can terminate the relationship anytime they wish for any or no reason. In your situation, you did actually do something; you told a racist joke. That is going to get you penalized in most places and fired in many. Employers cannot afford to allow this sort of issue to be allowed lest they will find themselves facing a suit.

swalsh411

File for unemployment while you look for a new job. A single off-taste joke will not disqualify you.

People are too sensitive. I am never offended by anything anybody says and it makes life so much less stressful.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you were not wrongfully terminated. Firing you for making a racist joke, whether you actually are or are not a racist, is quite legal, quite valid, and I'm rather surprised that you have to ask that question.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I was recently fired for a racist joke that I had said where I work. An employee was talking about a car commercial that represented black people. My joke was that they couldn't afford that car. One of the employees stared back at me when I said it, knowing that he was offended by what I had said I said sorry it was just a joke. A couple days later i was texted to call into work. The manager informed me that I would no longer be working there because of what I had said. Apparently the person who was offended was half black and complained to the management. During my phone call the manager told me that I was doing a good job, but since he complained he had to do something. The manger also said that he would try to smooth things over, and possibly get me a job at another location, but never called me back. I work in a kitchen and things are very laid back and jokes and comments are made all the time. My brother-in-law is black as well as 2 nephews, I am far from a racist. I was wondering if I was wrongfully terminated and if their is anything I could do about the situation? I feel that I was treated unfairly and that the management favored the employee who complained, who has worked there longer than I have.
Nope. Not wrongfully terminated. Being a bigot is not a protected class. But good excuse. You aren't racist. You just tell racist jokes.

ecmst12

I'm not even black and I was offended by that. I probably wouldn't have complained to HR, but it still makes you look like a jerk.

commentator

File for benefits and move on. It was bad judgment, open mouth insert foot type thing, but I hope you didn't wait too long for the guy to try to get you on at another location or something. If you haven't already filed for benefits, do so immediately while looking for something else. Telling a racist joke one time isn't really GROSS misconduct unless it was a really really ugly comment, which I don't think this one falls into. Of course it was against the rules, and you should;ve known it was inappropriate, but I figure you don't have a history of having this type of problem, and so you'll probably be approved to draw unemployment benefits while you try to find something else.

ajfarms1

The type of people that complain about humor like that are usually more racist and prejudist than the person making the jokes. Move on and look out for people with a battery on their shoulder.

Antigone*

The type of people that complain about humor like that are usually more racist and prejudist than the person making the jokes. Move on and look out for people with a battery on their shoulder.
The type of people who post idiocy such as this are usually bad spellers:rolleyes:

swalsh411

Being a bigot is not a protected class. But good excuse. You aren't racist. You just tell racist jokes.
Oh please. I tell black jokes to my black friends and asian jokes to my asian friends. If it's funny it's funny. If it makes members of the target group of the joke laugh, it's not racist.

ecmst12

Except I hope you know better than to tell those jokes at work, unless you're VERY close with every coworker in earshot...

ecmst12

I agree with that :) And you don't have to be a racist to be fired for telling inappropriate jokes at work - just dumb enough to tell them.

Reactions: cbg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">