• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pickedon

Ohio state

long story short i was fired for making a coment to a guy i work next to.(Were auto technicians)
just started new job at byers chevy in columbus. First month i was treated with dissrespect and
rudeness and always given bad work meaning cars that the other techs would refuse to work on.
The guy i worked next to was very negative and bad mouthed everyone in the place.He had nothing
good to say about anything.Always complaining about the work he got and how poorly he's treated.
after awhile i started to get tired of being treated like a second class citizen so one day i said to
the guy next to me that you know one of theses days there going to hire someone thats not going
to put up with there **** and end up getting there throats slit...One month later i was so tired of
listening to the negative guy next to me i said somthing to my service manager and he said to stop
talking to him...I did and 3 days later i was called into the office and fired for saying i was going to slit
the service advisors throat and they had witnesses of me saying that.The guy whom fired me is a x cop
so he says and you would think he would investagate...Nope I was threatened to be taken to court
and he was going to press charges.I said your making a big deal out of nothing here and he said i
dont know you and how do i know you wont go off on someone.He also said there not going to take the
risk. Even though i'm a very polite and easy to get along with person my service manager just sat there
the entire time with his head down.My service manager knows i'm a good person.do i have a case with
the company or the guy next to me whom filed the complaint?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio state

long story short i was fired for making a coment to a guy i work next to.(Were auto technicians)
just started new job at byers chevy in columbus. First month i was treated with dissrespect and
rudeness and always given bad work meaning cars that the other techs would refuse to work on.
The guy i worked next to was very negative and bad mouthed everyone in the place.He had nothing
good to say about anything.Always complaining about the work he got and how poorly he's treated.
after awhile i started to get tired of being treated like a second class citizen so one day i said to
the guy next to me that you know one of theses days there going to hire someone thats not going
to put up with there **** and end up getting there throats slit...One month later i was so tired of
listening to the negative guy next to me i said somthing to my service manager and he said to stop
talking to him...I did and 3 days later i was called into the office and fired for saying i was going to slit
the service advisors throat and they had witnesses of me saying that.The guy whom fired me is a x cop
so he says and you would think he would investagate...Nope I was threatened to be taken to court
and he was going to press charges.I said your making a big deal out of nothing here and he said i
dont know you and how do i know you wont go off on someone.He also said there not going to take the
risk. Even though i'm a very polite and easy to get along with person my service manager just sat there
the entire time with his head down.My service manager knows i'm a good person.do i have a case with
You have no case. You were fired. File for unemployment. Your service manager apparently doesn't know you are a good person> Ted Bundy was allegedly very polite and easy to get along with as well.

eerelations

An employer has a moral and ethical obligation to fire an employee who threatens to slit his coworkers' throats. There is no court in the US (or anywhere else for that matter) that would rule against this.

Last edited:

swalsh411

i said to
to put up with there **** and end up getting there throats slit...
You think it's ok to joke about mudering somebody? You're lucky you're not facing criminal charges.

Proserpina

Ohio state

That is possibly the worst thing you could have EVER said.

And yeah, you should be damn thankful that you don't have a restraining order and/or criminal charges.

The fun part? If anyone contacts your ex-employer for a reference, they can tell the truth. I don't see many folk wanting to hire you after that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not even close to a wrongful termination.

I see the distinction you are making - you did not say you were going to slit someone's throat; you said that someone someday is going to slit someone's throat. However, even if we accept that distinction and say yes, you didn't say what they say you said, read my signature; A WRONGFUL TERMINATION DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WERE FIRED FOR SOMETHING YOU DIDN'T DO. A wrongful termination means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. And I can promise you, there is NO law anywhere in the US that prohibits an employer from terming someone who even SUGGESTS that there might be a throat-slitting in the future, regardless of who it is suggested will perform the slitting.

Just Blue

Ohio state

Oh my Goodness! What a vile thing to say. :mad:

commentator

And very silly. I suspect the OP has not been working there very long. Therefore they are probably quickly cutting their losses as far as a bad hire, not keeping this person who believes they've got all these rights and expectations about how the employer is supposed to treat them and perhaps is given to speaking out rather adamantly about it if they don't like something.

I'd advise the OP to file for unemployment, that's all the recourse there is here, and his being approved for unemployment benefits is rather iffy. The OP, of course, will say that he did not actually make the threat, he just made this comment, and it will be very important to bring up that he was not given any warnings or follow ups at the time it was actually said. So there was no progressive discipline involved.

Even if he'd threatened DIRECTLY to slit the guy's throat, that they did not take action about it immediately speaks strongly to that they did not have a valid misconduct reason to terminate him. They did not immediately call him in, investigate the issue, talk to witnesses, and tell him this was very unacceptable.
They let this comment slide, it sounds like, without telling him how inappropriate they thought it was, until there was actually another offense of some kind, and then dug this up and used it as a reason to terminate. This speaks strongly to that the person may have a fair chance of being approved for unemployment benefits while looking for another job.

But a case of some kind against the employer for actually firing him? Nothing there.

swalsh411

I think the chances of the OP getting unemployment are pretty good (assuming he is financially qualified) because the notion of misconduct is something so bad that you have to fire that person right away as soon as you find out about it. In other words, the misconduct was the proximate cause of the termination, not something they dug up at a later point so they would have a reason to terminate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">