• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kblarkey

I worked for a public school system in Georgia as a Bus Monitor. I was terminated along with the Bus Driver for leaving a sleeping child on the bus. My job description does not include this responsibility and at the time of the obvious mistake, I was busy performing other duties outlined in my job description. (eg. assisting other students on and off the bus) At the end of the route, the Bus Driver failed to complete her post-trip inspection which is a safeguard for this type thing. She admitted this upon being interviewed by management. I plan to ask for my job back. My separation notice states that I failed to follow procedures however, the school system issued a memorandum the following day outlining the new procedures for the post-trip and sitting arrangements for bus monitors. Do I have a leg to stand on if it becomes necessary. I hope that I do not have to go that far however, I would like to know my rights going in.

L

loku

He did break the oral agreement. If you can prove the agreement, you should be able to hold him to it.
If your job description did not include the responsibility and it was not in any way understood that you would have that responsibility, then you probably have a good case for getting reinstated. However, even if it was not included in your job description, if bus monitors usually do watch such things, then you may have been required to do so. In that case, you have no case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">