• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LMarts

Lisa from South Dakota
After working for a company for 2.5 years, I was fired. In the meeting where I was fired, I was give a few specific reasons and told I could talk to the human resource dept if I disagreed. I did this. Human resources helped set up a meeting with the executive committe. When I questioned them about the reasons and gave my facts of the situation, they told me that this wasn't why I was fired. After 30 minutes of asking them what the real reason was, they told me that someone had said I was overheard giving out confidental information on out clients. After another 30 minutes, during which they refused to tell me exactly what I was supposedly overheard saying, I was aked if I wanted to hear exactly what the complaint was. I said yes. At that point, two members of the committe left the room, only to return a few minutes later. I was then told what I was supposedly overheard saying. I had never even heard this information that I had supposedly said. It was based on a true event that had happened, but I had NEVER heard about it. Also, it was so nasty that I would never have mentioned it even if I had knowledge of it. They said they investigated, but refused to give me anymore information. There is no way I can prove that I didn't say this, and they won't discuss it anymore. This information is in my file, which they will not let me see, and will affect my future in this field. PLEASE help. I need some advice, ASAP.

T

Tgordon6923

If they do not have documented proof or a witness that you were delivering this information - they cannot fire you. Ask for proof. If they cannot provide it - you have a case. I would get a lawyer and sue for wrongfull termination.

K

kenyoon

You're getting yourself into a whole mess of trouble if you want to fight this. I'd recommend giving up, its not worth it. You're going to focus your whole life on this minor issue and ruin a good 6 months to a year of your life-at least.

But knowing that you'll ignore my advice, here's how you can hurt yourself the least.

Explain your position rationally to HR. It sounds like they are pretty reasonable. Ask for a severance letting them know you've been a loyal employee for 2.5 years, you feel wronged and that they botched their investigation. Tell them you'll let it all go for a small severance. As part of the severance, include a letter of recommendation or statement to your future employers that you and they can agree on.

The specific legal harm you may have suffered is libel/slander.

Finally, as a note, you should have a right to look at your employee file. Check with your state labor authority.

DISCLAIMER

By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication, on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein.

L

LMarts

I realize that there really isn't much point in "fighting" the fact that I was fired, I simply want to make sure that nothing in my file from this "investigation" of their is going to ruin future opportunities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">