• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Restaurantwrong

in NJ
I am a 37 year old mom of 2 with 13 yrs restaurant experience...i'm really good at what i do and am tired of being screwed with by people in this industry. last week i was fired from my server position because another employee fired up the manager and convinced her to terminate me..all this while the actual owner was in Italy. I returned to speak with the owner today and talked about how this other employee causes problems and he acknowledges the unnecessary garbage that occurs in his establishment...but says that he can not hire me back because the other servers and his manager (also his step daughter) will be angry with him...he also acknowledges my excellent job performance. if it were not for this other employee butting into my business i would still have my job. can i take any legal action against her? i cry every day...have been turned down for 5 jobs for needing to be home for children...and considered kissing a tree while driving home today!! Please help!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I hate situations like this.

I wish I didn't have to say this, but I don't see anything illegal about your firing. You got a raw deal, but your manager and the owner being wimps and letting this other employee push them around is not illegal. About the only case I can see is if you were of a different race, national origin, etc, and were prepared to prove that this would not have happened to someone of another (name your favorite protected group).

By all means talk to a local attorney about any cause of action you might have against the other employee, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'll be delighted if I'm wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">