• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination adn prosecution?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubaband

What is the name of your state? NY

I was a union employee for NY MTA, a number of employees in my group at a different location and our mutual supervisor were found to participate in a conspiracy to leave early and submit false time cards. As part of their action against this group, a colleague and I were fired and referred for prosecution, with the accompanying "perp walk" and media blitz.

All charges were dismissed, we were not aware of any timecard issues and were always on site for periods we were paid. They never even investigated us to see if we were on site or not during the hours we were paid.

Does their failure to investigate open the door for litigation? How about the failed attempt to prosecute and media blitz? Are there any rules for government employees that were violated?

Beth3

Does their failure to investigate open the door for litigation? Firing you for suspected misconduct is not illegal. You may have solid grounds to file a grievance with your union and obtain reinstatement and perhaps back pay.

How about the failed attempt to prosecute and media blitz? The State prosecutes, not an employer. The media can show up and cover anything they wish to. Your employer has no control over either.

Are there any rules for government employees that were violated? Sorry, I can't answer that one. It would be specific to NY municipal and/or MTA employees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">