• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination and defimation of charcater

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BigCH74

Wrongful termination and defamation of character

What is the name of your state?AL

I used to work at Wal-Mart in the Tire and Lube Express.
A few weeks ago while i was at work, I told my manager that while we were'nt busy i needed to pull my truck in the shop to look at a few things, but nothing that i would have needed to write up a work order ticket for. I told him exactly what i was going to do and he OK'd it. I got another asscociate to pull it in and started what i was doing. I went downstairs to check it for an oil leak, which is not something the store charges a fee for. After i did that i took my blinker fixture loose and put the bulb that had fallen out of the fixture back in the socket, again, nothing that the store charges a fee for, the only charge would have been if i had installed a NEW bulb in the fixture, I only replaced one that had fallen out. Another supervisor was with me the whole time i did this. When i was finished, i came back upstairs, lifted my hood and looked at my headlight fixture to check the part number for a new headlight bulb. I went inside, purchased a new bulb, compared it to the old one, threw the old one away, put the new one in my front seat, shut my hood, and pulled my truck out of the shop myself because there was no other available associate to do it for me. Later that night when i got home i installed the new bulb in my truck. The next day the manager i had informed of my intentions, not the same supervisor that had helped me (different guy) called me into his office and told me that i had violated a company policy by pulling my truck out of the shop, and that i had installed the headlight in my truck in the shop on company time. He DID tell me the he WAS aware that I HAD PAID FOR THE NEW BULB, but i did wrong by installing it (I DID NOT INSTALL THE BULB).and he fired me. i signed my green sheet and left. I was under the impression that my green sheet was only a statement of my understanding that i no longer worked for the company.He did not tell me that is was something i might need to read or give me the oppurtunity to look at it. The other day i recieved a phone call from the unemployment office to get a rebuttle on the statement that wal-mart had made. Wal-Mart's statement was...and i quote."Cory pulled his truck into the shop and performed work on is vehicle on company time and installed a part that he did not pay for". So now they are saying that i stole the bulb too. When he told me he knew i had paid for it, i threw the reciept away because i saw no reason to keep it because i thought that it would not be an issue, but I DO have a copy of the check i wrote for the bulb. This accusation not only will keep me from getting unemployment compensation but it explains why none of the jobs i have interviewed for have called me back. I need to know what i can do about this. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

billyga

I've always said this and I stand by it. Walmart is out to turn the workforce of the United States into 3d world status. Their actions in this case are not surprising and are despicable. I DO NOT spend my money there.

Beth3

You don't know that the accusation will keep you from receiving UC benefits. If the employer is contesting your eligibility, the burden of proof is on them to demonstrate you engaged in willful misconduct. If the Initial Determination denies benefits, then file for a hearing and take a copy of the check to the hearing as evidence that you paid for the bulb.

As to the job interviews, you don't know what WalMart is saying, if anything. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a "date of hire only" referencing policy. Have a friend or family member you can trust who can pull this off contact the store and say they're ABC Company calling to get a reference on you. Then see what they say.

Good luck.

BigCH74

to beth

AL

thanks beth, i feel like i have a good case here, and as far as having a friend call and pretend to be a company calling for a work reference..that thought has actually ran through my mind, i just havent done it yet, but if my manager is as slick as he seems, he probably wont say anything, especially now that he is potentially in hot water

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, with a company the size of WalMart it's quite unlikely that the reference will come directly from your manager. That's what HR is for.

BigCH74

well, no matter how large the company, potential employers aren't going to go that high within the company, they may go to the individual store's HR dept. but even for them to give a reference, my supervisor would have to give them info to relay on to the potential employer. Also, i don't know how greensheets work, but im sure that the information on my green sheet is accessible to potential employers looking for a work reference, and if it is inaccurate and slanderous, i could lose a job to someone else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">