• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination due to intolerable working conditions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Satya Bhan

What is the name of your state? GA. I am a student employee with the department of housing at Georgia tech. Recently I was fired for failing to respond to a students call at 3am when I was on duty. According to my supervisor he tried contacting me via pager and phone for 80min before I responded. I was asleep at the time but I am a light sleeper and have previously on several other duty nights woken up and responded to calls within 5-10mins. I was recently forced to move to east campus because they closed my building for renovation a fact which was not disclosed to me until after my employment. My new room is extremely noisy because there is an interstate running right out side of it. I stayed up one night and realized the phone is totally muffled by the sounds of the trucks and cars at night and that's prob. the explanation why I was not able to effectively perform my job. Can I file a case of wrongful termination due to intolerable working conditions?

Beth3

Can I file a case of wrongful termination due to intolerable working conditions? No. Not even close. What you describe is an unpleasant living/working environment but it nowhere near meets the criteria for an intolerable work environment. You don't remotely have a claim for wrongful termination.

Satya Bhan

But i had to perform my job in my room

My explanation in the previous post was not clear. My duty is at night and i am required to be in my room and respond to any calls that I get from the residents. Its not that i am complaining that because i was unable to sleep well in my room that i was unable to perform my job the next day. I have to perform my job in my room. Do I still not qualify for a claim?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, nothing you have posted comes even close to giving you a wrongful termination claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">