• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination with evidence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogatemy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

In 5/2009 I was written up for being "unprofessional". My employer would not tell me exactly what incident he was referring too. He would only say I was being unprofessional. I wrote up an email where I refused to take "ownership" of this "unprofessionalism" but did provide some positive feedback on how we could improve customer service.

In 6/2009 I was given a mid-year review where it documented that I was written up but also documented that I showed improvement.

In 9/2009 I was marched to HR where I was told I was terminated. After some arguing my boss finally said that I was being written up for calling a user "an idiot". We picked up the phone, called a coworker, asked the coworker if he remembered being on speakerphone with me back in May and if he remembered anything about the incident. The coworker responded, "yeah.. I remember that idiot." I asked him who in the conversation called the user an idiot and the coworker responded, "I did.. why?". I told him not to worry about it and hung up the phone.

The HR representative also said I was being terminated because I made a disparaging comment about a particular project while inside the walls of our department. I responded that my boss not only approved but encouraged such conversation saying we would be protected from punishment as long as our conversation was not heard by a client. Our previous managing director, who died from cancer recently, also made similar statements. When I explained this to the HR representative she queried my boss who agreed but the new managing director heard the comment and felt it warranted being written up despite his protest.

The HR representative said I was not being terminated but I was now being sent home with pay pending a full investigation. I was called this morning to say I am still being terminated because I could not be returned to service under my current manager.

Do I have any relief under the law? I have the incident documented in email. Even if there is no wrongful termination suit then can I find some relief in the fact that I was documented as violating a policy even though I never did? What if the employer makes disparaging comments during my job hunt based on what is in the file? Any other thoughts on how to approach this?

Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is nowhere near "wrongful termination". Wrongful termination refers to a termination that occurs based on a protected characteristic. Personality conflict is not a protected characteristic.

commentator

File for your unemployment benefits imediately. If you are fired and the employer does not have a good "misconduct" reason to fire you, you cannot sue him for wrongful termination under the circumstances you have described, but you can file for and probably receive your Arizona unemployment benefits while you look for another job.

You obviously did not have any idea your job was in jeopardy, you did not receive any formal progressive discipline related to the same issues, attitude, "remarks" etc, are too vague to be considered misconduct...so for that you have a pretty good chance.

dogatemy

File for your unemployment benefits imediately. If you are fired and the employer does not have a good "misconduct" reason to fire you, you cannot sue him for wrongful termination under the circumstances you have described, but you can file for and probably receive your Arizona unemployment benefits while you look for another job.

You obviously did not have any idea your job was in jeopardy, you did not receive any formal progressive discipline related to the same issues, attitude, "remarks" etc, are too vague to be considered misconduct...so for that you have a pretty good chance.
I appreciate your opinion. I am not terribly concerned about unemployment because I have had more than one job offer with the first arriving hours after my termination. I am just angry that I was accused of doing something that I did not do, management documents in email they know I did not do it then they fire me anyway. It just seems like there should be some recourse for their behavior.

My next call is to the RIAA, MPAA and BSA. There are several documented incidents of installing software without approval and employees who rip and store music and movies on corporate equipment. I may not get a dime but a $50,000 fine would be poetic justice when a $10,000 check and an NDA would have kept me quiet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">