• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination or not???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leenie

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am an RN. When I took this job position, it was posted for "RN-LPN or CMA"(certified medical assitant). I was told last week that my job was being
eliminated and that they would be hiring a CMA to fill it (even asked me to stay and train the new person). Can they do this? Do I follow the Position Elimination policy that we have (because, the position isn't really being eliminated, just as an RN)? They offered me two open RN positions ( I don't qualify for either of them....ICU nurse with previous experience and 5 years med surg experience, which I do not have) or they offered me the CMA position at their wage. Do they have to offer a severance package if not offered another positon? If I choose not to stay and train replacment, is this still considered involuntary resignation?

justalayman

leenie said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am an RN. When I took this job position, it was posted for "RN-LPN or CMA"(certified medical assitant). I was told last week that my job was being
eliminated and that they would be hiring a CMA to fill it (even asked me to stay and train the new person). Can they do this? Do I follow the Position Elimination policy that we have (because, the position isn't really being eliminated, just as an RN)? They offered me two open RN positions ( I don't qualify for either of them....ICU nurse with previous experience and 5 years med surg experience, which I do not have) or they offered me the CMA position at their wage. Do they have to offer a severance package if not offered another positon? If I choose not to stay and train replacment, is this still considered involuntary resignation?
yes
they seem to be following it apparently you can to if you wish
no
no

Beth3

Can they do this? Yes.

Do I follow the Position Elimination policy that we have (because, the position isn't really being eliminated, just as an RN)? That's up to your employer.

Do they have to offer a severance package if not offered another positon? No.

If I choose not to stay and train replacment, is this still considered involuntary resignation? Yes.

justalayman

Beth3 said:
Can they do this?
If I choose not to stay and train replacment, is this still considered involuntary resignation? Yes.
Are you sure about this Beth? If the employee choses not to stay and terminates their employment why would it be involuntary resignation. As the saying goes "it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings"

The employer has not terminated him until they push him out the door.

pattytx

"Involuntary resignation" is rather a contradiction of terms. Generally speaking, a resignation is voluntary and it's pretty hard to make it otherwise. If the OP decides to quit rather than train her replacement, she's resigned. Period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">