• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stang98sc

What is the name of your state?NY

I live and worked in New York. I used to work for a financial instituion that is regulated by the SEC. I was an exemplary employee who discovered last year that an employee was stealing money from the company (2 million dollars).

I was asked to co-operate with FBI and DOJ. I did that. There were charges brought up against the former employee.

Right after that, my job responsibilities were taken away from me. Within the next 2 weeks I was terminated based on wrongful accusations. I asked for proof what I did wrong none was provided.

I want to know if I have a case on a state or a federal level.

Beth3

I suggest you consult with an employment law attorney asap. There are several legal avenues you may be able to pursue if you were demoted and terminated in retaliation including (a) a public policy violation, (b) federal and State whistleblower protections, and/or (c) a violation of Sarbanes-Oxley. Only a qualified attorney can advise you of this after discussing your specific situation with you.

stang98sc

Do you know?

Do you know how I can find competent lawyer in my area? Is there a not for profit firm that can help guide me?

I have contacted three lawyers but they refused to pursue it saying "next time work for nicer people". That is just ridiculous.

Thanks

Beth3

I'm not in NY and can't give you any referrals (it may even be against the rules of this board to do so) but you can always call your local Bar Association and ask for referrals to attorneys in your area. There is also a "find a lawyer" search feature at this site you can try. And of course there's always the yellow pages.

Beth3

You're welcome. A word of caution though - I do not know enough about your particular situation to know if you have a legal claim against your employer or not but you definitely have good reason to talk to an attorney and find out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">