• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination? Previous employer appealing unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lifted97zj

Hi I live in Kentucky and I was fired from my job in December 07. I was an operations manager for a company in the multi-family housing market. Before i accepted employment with this company in Jan 07 I was told what my salary would be and that at Christmas I would receive a $2000.00 bonus. Well the year went good I was never wrote up for any problems. Well Christmas comes around I am expecting that great bonus I was promised and I receive $200.00 at the company Christmas party. Of course I was pretty mad but never said anything to the owner because I didn't want to make a scene at his party. I did however talk to a few co-worker/friends and told them that I can't believe he would be like this ( everyone's bonus was very small) . And that I was thinking about trying to eventually find a new job. So my wife and I go home (which was over 2 hours from my job) on Saturday night, I drive back to work on Monday morning the owner calls me up to his office and tells me I am fired. He says if I am going to look for another job then he was just going to fire me and he didn't appreciate how I acted at the party by ignoring him and not speaking. So of course I call my wife and family members upset because I was fired. He payed me 2 weeks severance pay. so after that 2 weeks I filed for unemployment and of course he appeals it stating that I quit. So I tell my side of the story and they agree with me that this was not reason to be fired. Well now he is appealing it again and I have to do a teleconference with a "referee" (judge I presume?) my previous employer, his attorney, any witnesses he wants, myself, my attorney (if I want one) and any of my witnesses.If I was going to quit why would I drive over 2 hours to say I quit then drive 2 hours back home?!?!?!Plus he made me work the rest of the day after he fired me! So I guess here's my question 1. do I have a wrongful termination case and 2. how can I ensure that I won't lose my unemployment because I would have to payback over $3000.00 and I am having trouble finding employment right now because our job market is very small in this area. Sorry to be such long winded but I thought if I was going to get advice I should throw all the facts out there. Thank You for any help!!:confused::confused::eek:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing in your post even remotely suggests wrongful termination.

For the record, whether you do or do not receive UI has NOTHING to do with whether you have a wrongful term claim or not. You do not, even if you eventually get UI. The vast majority of people collecting UI were legally terminated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">