• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination for Pursuit of Shoplifter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAL70

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. Until today, I was a manager at a major retailer. Last week a shoplifter took a Coach bag and proceeded out of the store. Security gave chase and called me over the radio to assist which I did. The thief, who used a cane in the store but was running full speed down the street, turned around and hit me with the cane. The cops who were down the block were witness to this and arrested the man. I filed a police report, they took pictures of my wrist and are in the process of brining the man up on larceny charges as well as felony assault charges against me. The ADA called me and said that this man has done this repeatedly in many stores and my store has video of him stealing two bags the previous week.

I was told by HR that due to my injury I was entitled to three days off with pay. The following day I was told that I was suspended with pay following an internal investigation. I received a call to come into HR where I was then told I was being fired for gross misconduct and that what I did was against company policy. When I asked where it stated in company/store policy, I was told it's not spelled out in black and white but it's for open interpretation. I refused to sign the termination letter and left the store. According to HR, the store has witnesses that stated this man had a cane and I was beating him, which is completely untrue...nor is that in the police report.

Where do I go from here?

commentator

Unfortunately, he's right. A company can fire you for just about anything, even a silly or wrong reason. I would carry through with the felony assault charges against this man.

But in the meantime, file for your unemployment benefits.

ecmst12

Most companies will tell you NOT to pursue any shoplifter that has or might have a weapon. You put yourself in danger and became a liability to the company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">