• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination and Re-Hiring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ryjin

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Last year I started working at a retail store(video game store) for about 10 months. On the day I was terminated and from the events leading up to it which were: "Forging" documents that determined a daily count of the game hardware in the store which was not part of any official company policy, just a form that the District Manager(The only district manager in the entire company I've found out), wanted the stores in his district to do. So basically, I was terminated for mistakingly filling out a form. I miscounted a handheld system(A Nintendo DS) as a White system being sold instead of a Pink one. So I was terminated for that.

Now, I've tried to re-apply to the company because the new manager at the store that I worked at wants me to work there again since he's worked with me in the past. In the computer's hiring system(Unicru, many people here have probably seen it/used it) it says that I am a green flag for being hired even though my application is marked I was previously terminated.

After speaking with the district manager about me getting possibly rehired, he claims that I am a Loss-Prevention issue for the store and cannot be hired for that reason. The manager of the store I am applying for still has my Termination Paperwork from when it happened. The reason on the form for why I was terminated is listed directly as "Terminated for not following a managerial directive." with the DM's signature right underneath it.

I've tried to contact Human Relations of the company but they say they cannot do anything about the district manager not hiring me even though I was fired for pretty much nothing.

So what steps can I take to try to get my job back or are there any other options for my situation?

Last edited:

eerelations

In law, a termination is only considered "wrongful" if it was based on the individual's race, gender, religion, or disability, etc. Nothing in your post indicates that you were fired for any of these reasons.

Your company is not legally required to hire you, even if certain individuals in the company would like to rehire you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The definition of wrongful term is a bit broader than eerelations has indicated but it still does not include what you have described. Unless there is a specific law that prohibits the employer from terming you for the reason they did, it is not a wrongful term. A wrongful term does NOT mean that you were fired for something you didn't do.

No law requires an employer to rehire an former employer, regardless of the reason for termination, unless it really was a wrongful termination AND the rehire is ordered by the court.

Beth3

So what steps can I take to try to get my job back or are there any other options for my situation? None and no. You weren't wrongfully terminated and they're not interested in hiring you back. End of story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">