• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination...retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexl1220

I live in WV. I was recently terminated from a supervisory postion based on an annual review. Over half of the review was based on statements from one staff that were false. Other assertions in the review were either false, outright lies, or slanted. I refuted many of the assertions with witnesses, times, places etc. I have requested an unbiased person talk with all of my staff and ask them about the assertions made. I had told my boss all year that the one staff interviewed was not reliable and a trouble maker. This staff had also had complaints from every other staff she worked with. Knowing this, she has not only praised and fought for this person but relied on this person's statements as her grounds to terminate me. My other staff were shocked and appalled at the termination and called me for two weeks asking how to deal with their new supervisor and continue to call me just to keep in touch. None were questioned about me for my review. None would concur with the "staff observations" noted in my review. Much of the review has no substance and nothing remotely positive was put on it. It was heavily weighted toward negatives. People I work with, not for, beg to differ. Basically, they fired me on false grounds of which little can be substantiated.

I have reason to think and documentation to show there may be retaliation involved. The company has a strict no retaliation policy.

This is very brief of course but assuming my statement(s) are based in verifiable truth, might I have some legal grounds in an at will state?

If someone would like to review my exit statement, it provides more insight and detail. I can strip off the names and e-mail it.

Regards and Thanks

Alex

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In the majority of states, you have legal protection from retaliation only if you reported *illegal* (not unethical, not immoral, not information you consider incorrect, but ILLEGAL) activity to the appropriate regulatory agency. In a small handful of states, you are protected from retaliation if you report illegal activity internally. However, I know of no state where you have legal protection from retaliation if the activity you complain of or report is legal. It is legal for them to have material in your review that you disagree with, even if you are right and you can prove it. They are entitled to their opinion even if it disagrees with yours.

So on the basis of the information in your post, even if you are correct and they are retaliating against you for protesting your review, that is legal and gives you no legal recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">