• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination/retaliation/hostile environment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

norseman

What is the name of your state?California here.
A new manager was hired and several people that had worked for the company for years quit because she treats people in a very demeaning "hostile" way. (constructive discharge?) Others were opportunistically fired. People are afraid of her and have cried because of her. Several have complained to Human Resources. I'm sick of seeing people suffer because of her. Even some of my clients have complained about her.
Seperately, she retaliated against me for complaining about her telling the employees in her department to not do business with me, which was against company policy, and she got into trouble for this. She retaliated be revoking my access to her department. Everyone else in my company in my position continues to have this type of departmental access, but she revoked mine.
Is there a cause of action here?
Thanks!

Beth3

Is there a cause of action here? No. The manager is a jerk and a bully but that's not against the law. The employer is foolish not to deal with her behavior as there is a geninue cost to them not to do so (poor morale, lowered productivity, turnover, customer relationships, etc.) but since the manager isn't breaking any laws, they don't have to. If senior management wishes to tolerate the manager revoking your access to her department, they may.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'd typed out a long response to this post, only to have the power go out just before I hit submit. Suffice it to say that both constructive discharge and a hostile work environment are predicated on the behavior being ILLEGAL (sexual harassment, illegal discrimination under Title VII). If the behavior isn't illegal, there's no cause of action legally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">