• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination/Suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sillygirl365

What is the name of your state? California

I have been suspended with pay while an investigation about me is going on at my company. A previous supervisor has made a statement that I was trying to steal supplies and that she never gave me approval to purchase a DVD writer/player and AMC Movie Tickets/Blockbuster Tickets. There is written documentation for the tickets but not the writer/player. I believe that the woman just wants me fired becuse I left her employment as she once threathened to fire me behind closed so that would be her word against mine. They have cut all of my access to our computer systems so I can pull any emails for proof and they ahve told me not to contact anyone at the company. They are suppose to come back at me today with what they are going to do. I also believe that when the HR Rep, Security and my current boss were talking in her office they were recording the conversation because I thought I heard a click when I left the office. So now what should I do?

PS I've been with the company for 5 years and I'm wondering if she can accuse me of this can she also claim that she never gave me verbal approval for others things ordered.. ie.. printer?

H

hexeliebe

For what?

You're name here is SillyGirl, but tell me, how silly would you feel if HR comes back and clears you of wrongdoing only after you've hired an attorney for a $5,000 retainer (which you won't get back in some cases).

Wait to see what happens. Then, once you get the results, decide what you need to do based on them.

S

Sillygirl365

You got a point there, but let me ask you this, were they wrong to suspend me without talking to everyone involved?

H

hexeliebe

No. And they would not be wrong for not suspending you or even firing you or not firing you.

And employer does not need a reason to fire you. It's that simple.

Unless you are being fired for a protected class such as religion, sex (or lack of it), race or other such, an employer does not HAVE to keep you employed.

S

Sillygirl365

OK..I can buy that.. let me ask you this. When we were in the office talking our head of security said he did a background check and that I had an arrest record. Well I do have 2 public records but I have never been arrested. So how can he make a statment like that?

H

hexeliebe

I have no idea without viewing your background check myself.

S

Sillygirl365

ok.. well thanks for your help. I guess I just have to wait till they call me and let me know their decision. Hopefully I wont get any more calls from co-workers saying they have heard I was fired..

Thanks again...

S

Sillygirl365

THE SAGA CONTINUES:
HR informed me not to contact anyone at the company however I've gotten calls from 3 relaible sources that have been told i'm not returning to the company and a position like the one I was in posted on the very same day I was suspened. Now, HR was suppose to contact me on 12/29 and havent, should I just wait it out or by me not calling to find out my status can they say I termed my employment by not calling in?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's a toss-up.

Your "relliable sources" are not the ones who instructed you not to contact the company and are not the ones doing the investigation, so you shouldn't necessarily be getting your information from them. Also, I know from experience that sometimes these investigations take longer than initially thought, and just because they told you they'd make a decision on the 29th doesn't mean that's what happened. Particularly with the holidays.

If it were my decision to make, I'd wait until Friday and if I hadn't been contacted by then, I'd call HR and say VERY politely, that I knew I wasn't supposed to call but that I had understood I'd be hearing the decision by the 29th; since it is now January 2 and I'd heard nothing would someone please be good enough to give me a status on the investigation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">