• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination/Union Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rackcoh4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I worked for an airplane for over 9 months at the time of my termination. I was a member of the union and did not have any discipline issues at work. I was let go from my job because I have a criminal history. It's a misdemeanor retail theft charge that I did inform my employer at the time of my interview. I eventually had to reveal this information several times before and during my time there, to secure the necessary security clearances.
The airline I worked for has a contract with the US Postal Service where as there is mail that goes on or comes off aircrafts. They subsequently did their own background check on all employees and I once again reveled my background which I did. Well, they deemed my charge as something disqualifying because I would not be able to touch the mail.
The airline let me go for this reason and denied me umemployment because they said I was aware or should have been aware I was not allowed to work for their company with my criminal charge. None of this was discussed during my interview so how was I to know? Should the person who interviewed me have been aware of this? Why was I allowed to work there for nine months without any problems and then fired for something like this?
I got no help from the union, and the lawyer they use has not returned any calls. I was not the only one affected by this mass termination, but everyone has different circumstances. I just need clarity so I can put this behind me if in fact I have no grounds to seek the help to pursue a case against this company. Anything would help, thanks.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that there is a specific law prohibiting the employer from firing you for the reason they did.

What law are you claiming was violated? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">