• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination-Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HARLEY1

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Recently, my husband was terminated. He called his supervisor after attending a child support hearing in which he made my husband look like a liar. This was a Thursday. My husband called him quite upset, etc. and his boss called the Child Support Division to explain what he really meant. Meanwhile, his supervisor called his mother later that day and told her to tell my husband to take that next day off (Friday) off since he was so upset. His boss calls our home that Sunday evening and starts talking about my husband sub-contracting out the a specific speciality of his job to his boss. I asked my husband after he hung up if he was just fired. He said, "I don't know." He had to call his boss back and outright ask if he had just been fired. His boss said yes. Meanwhile, I'm going to check into the firing procedures, because I believe he was supposed to get some type of 1st 'warning', 2nd 'warning' etc., and none of this occurred. He just outright terminated him. Is this fair?:confused:

HomeGuru

HARLEY1 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Recently, my husband was terminated. He called his supervisor after attending a child support hearing in which he made my husband look like a liar. This was a Thursday. My husband called him quite upset, etc. and his boss called the Child Support Division to explain what he really meant. Meanwhile, his supervisor called his mother later that day and told her to tell my husband to take that next day off (Friday) off since he was so upset. His boss calls our home that Sunday evening and starts talking about my husband sub-contracting out the a specific speciality of his job to his boss. I asked my husband after he hung up if he was just fired. He said, "I don't know." He had to call his boss back and outright ask if he had just been fired. His boss said yes. Meanwhile, I'm going to check into the firing procedures, because I believe he was supposed to get some type of 1st 'warning', 2nd 'warning' etc., and none of this occurred. He just outright terminated him. Is this fair?:confused:
**A: his employer has a right to fire for just cause or no cause.

Beth3

Whether it's fair is irrelevant. The question is whether it's legal.

Frankly, your post is as confusing as heck. I don't understand why your husband's supervisor would be attending a child support hearing for your husband in the first place - if that's what took place. From your post, it's almost impossible to tell what went on here.

If your husband said something to his boss that ticked off the boss and your husband was fired as a result, that's not illegal.

M

montecarlolsus

When your husband applied for the job and got it and filled out all that paperwork after being hired, does it say anything about the employer being able to terminate him without prior cause justification or notification or something on those lines? If so he is screwed.

R

Ramoth

Monte, he's an employee in an At Will state. Unless he signed an employment contract, or was subject to a CBA, he's "screwed" anyway.

M

montecarlolsus

True. you are right. unless you are a union worker here you are at the mercy of the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">