• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination. Are you an employee if you havent worked a day or received pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

honeydripper

What is the name of your state?WI was convicted of a misdamenor in 1991, and since I was a minor at the time I
didnt know it was on my record. I later applied with Southfield public schools
in 2001. They said that I had that record and fired me befor I even got to work
a day or got money. I later got the misdamenor expunged and reapplied in 2005
with Southfield public schools. They hired me and let me work for three days
befor terminating me again. The reason for this was that they said that I
didn't tell them on the application that I worked for them in 2001. I never
made money from them so I really didnt work for them and there is nothing on
the application that asks had I ever applied with them in the past or have I
ever worked for them. I didnt put them down because they didnt ask me to, and I
never worked for them. What can I do? Are they legally right? hat is the name of your state? michigan

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What can I do?

Keep looking for work.

Are they legally right?

Let me put it this way; they have not violated any laws.

They have no legal obligation to hire you if they don't want to. They don't have to give you any reason at all; if they choose to tell you it's because you failed to disclose your previous employment/application they may. Whether you actually worked for them or only applied for work is irrelevant.

They have made it clear that they have no interest in having you come to work for them. Accept that, apply to work elsewhere, and move on.

honeydripper said:
I later applied with Southfield public schools
in 2001. They said that I had that record and fired me befor I even got to work a day or got money.
honeydripper said:
They hired me and let me work for three days
befor terminating me again. The reason for this was that they said that I
didn't tell them on the application that I worked for them in 2001.
Here's my guess of what happened:
1) Your application asked if you had been convicted of any previous crimes
2) Your application asked if you had been employed there in the past
3) You answered no to both

In each case, you've provided inaccurate information, which each application states at the bottom when you sign, is grounds for immediate dismissal. Remember, it didn't ask if you had "worked" for them, it asked if you had previously been "employed" by them - and as you well know, you can't be fired if you haven't been hired. Thus, you provided inaccurate information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">