• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfull firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wellenmelo

My husband and I worked for the same employer and I lost my job. The employer gave me a written letter of recommendation saying that my position was temporary.
I proceeded to file for unemployment benefits. When the judicature at the Department of unemployment called my former boss she went in to see my husband (who still worked for the company) and threatened him with firing if I was awarded benefits.
When unemployment phoned her again and informed her that they had a copy of the recommendation letter she gave me and had no choice but to issue me benefits she retaliated by firing my husband.
I called the Attorney General's office and waged a complaint, is there anything else I can do to be compensated?

L

loku

Yes, your husband can hire an employment law attorney in your state and bring an action against the employer for wrongful termination. Firing him for the reason you gave is against public policy and therefore he has a good case. A lawyer will take this on a contingency basis, but only is there are damages (*if your husband has a significant loss). If there is no significant loss (for example, if he quickly got another job that paid the same or more), he could take this to small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">