• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfull Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ocajt714

I live and work in California. I work for the same company that my mother has for the past 13 years, I myself have been there for only 3 years, but because of this I have a friendly relationship with the owners inside and outside of the office walls.

Recently I saw a great deal on a car and couldn't afford the asking price so I asked the owner of my company if I could take out a loan and she said that that the company wasn't in the situation to do so, but SHE will do it for me. So I received a personal loan from her and we agreed on payment time and amount. I have fallen short a couple times on payment and now she sent me an email that said if I don't abide by the original agreement she will be forced to remove the amount from my paycheck and terminate my employment. Can she do this because from what I understand it was a personal loan and had nothing to do with work. Please let me know if this is something worth fighting over if something does happen.

Thank You

nohr4u1yr

A great deal?

Recently I saw a great deal on a car and couldn't afford the asking price...
That was your FIRST mistake! If you can't afford it yourself then you don't buy it!

I work for the same company that my mother has for the past 13 years,
I'm sure your mother is completely humilited by your lack of responsibility in paying back a loan that the owner gave you.

Bottom line - unless you signed something that states she is able to deduct money from your paycheck they can not. But, be sure that so how - some way you will be terminated.

And remember in the future - if you don't have the money for something or good enough credit to get a loan - don't put someone else in a bind. It's your responsibility!

Beth3

Okay, multiple poor choices here:

1. You bought a vehicle you couldn't afford.
2. You approached your employer for a loan.
3. You accepted a personal loan from the owner.
4. You've stiffed her on the repayment schedule.

Yes, she can fire you. No, she can't withhold the money due her from your paycheck. She can certainly go to court and get a garnishment for the money due her however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">