• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfull termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cvs20042004

What is the name of your state? alabama

i was terminated after 15 yrs of employment because of what my boss said was personel gain for getting re-imbursed for mileage paid to me. i did not do the paid-outs myself i had my 2nd in charge do them for me and i just picked up the money in an envelope because of my hrs of driving. about 5 hrs a day round trip. according to company policy you were suppose to take off less commute miles and my people doing the paid-outs did not hold out the less commute miles. they said that they did the paid-outs the same way that they got paid at the other stores in the district. when i checked the other stores all the other managers did the paid outs the same way and did not hold out less commute miles for all of the other employees who got paid outs. i figure my immediate boss did not stand up for me and tell the truth that he had me out of my store and doing his work at the other stores, and that in fact the mileage being paid should have been correct. i feel like he thru me under the bus to save himself. i believe this is wrongful termination because other people have done the same thing and they are still employed and not me. i feel like it could not have been personel gain if i did not do the paid outs and i did not sign or verify the paid outs and i in fact did drive the total miles. Do i have a case?

ecmst12

I don't understand most of what you're talking about, but no, this is not wrongful termination. It is legal to be fired for something you did not do. Or something you did that "everyone else is doing".

cvs20042004

even if every one else did the same thing. they are saying i did these paid-outs for personel gain even though i did not do the paid outs? everone in the company does the paidouts the same way it was done for me yet i am the only one that got fired?

las365

You are responsible for the accuracy of your request for reimbursement even if you have a subordinate prepare it for you. You should have reviewed it and made sure it complied with the rules. It doesn't matter what other people did, IMO.

Your termination wasn't illegal. You can apply for unemployment and if they buy your unfairness argument you might receive benefits, but I wouldn't count on it if I were you.

cvs20042004

What is the name of your state? alabama

what i do not understand is if everyone does something wrong and only one is fired and not the rest who do the same thing is that not wrongful termination. i thought it would be because you a singling out one person and not firing the whole group. Am i looking at this wrong. I know a jury would probably see it the same way? if all does wrong they should all be terminated.

racer72

Am i looking at this wrong.
Why yes you are. What happened to the others is irrelevent.

I know a jury would probably see it the same way?
Not likely. You live in a "at will employment" state. That means you can be fired for wearing the wrong color of shoe laces. Unless you are covered by a collective bargaining agreement, you can legally be singled out and fired even if everyone else is doing the same thing.

if all does wrong they should all be terminated.
That's depends on company policy and management discression. There are no laws to back up this claim.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that a specific law says an employer cannot fire an employee for the reason they did.

Since no law says you can't be fired for the reason you describe, it is not a wrongful termination. Whether other people were fired for the same reason or not.

mitousmom

even if every one else did the same thing. they are saying i did these paid-outs for personel gain even though i did not do the paid outs? everone in the company does the paidouts the same way it was done for me yet i am the only one that got fired?
Federal EEO law prohibits treating employees differently based on race, sex, color, religion, national origin, or age. For example, if you are female and the everyone else treated differently are male, you could allege sex discrimination. However, if the everyone else is a mixed group, it's unlikely that you can allege illegal discrimination.

Betty

Agree. It was not illegal discrimination/illegal termination unless you were terminated JUST because of a protected by law category such as age, religion, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">