• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully accused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frostty

What is the name of your state?Michigan
Today i was let go for some thing that i did not do, when i ask them for paper work for what i was accused of, they read a peice of paper for the reason i was terminated, they ask me to sign that peice of paper, I refused, and then ask for a copy of this paper, they stated that if i didn't sign it i was not entitled to a copy, is that true, i mean that seems a little fishy, could this be that they tell you or show you one thing and then for unemployment reason they lie and tell unemployemnt that you quit and did not show up for your sch shift, I have a pretty good idea that may be the case or does it seem that i have a bad taste for corporate america.

thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Whether you have a right to a copy of the document or not depends on whether it is going to be placed in your personnel file.

Under Michigan law, you have the right to view your personnel file; to have a copy of anything in the file with the exception of references, and to insert a rebuttal of any information with which you do not agree. So if the document is going to be a part of your employment file, you have a right to a copy of it whether you sign it or not.

However, if the document is NOT going in your personnel file, they don't have to give you a copy, again whether you sign it or not.

For the record, signing the document does not mean you agree with it. It means that you have been notified of what is in it. It is legal to fire you for refusing to sign.

You're getting WAY ahead of yourself on the unemployment issue. Before you start getting bent out of shape about what they might or might not do or say, wait and see whether or not they even contest UI. Not all employers do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">