• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully accused and fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erikperez

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS
Here is the situation. I worked at a jewelery chain store. I was an assistant manager and was about to be handed a new store and become manager of it. ANyway we had a new employee there, and she was not too happy at the job place and quit after working there for two weeks. She was not fired and she left at her own will. Anyway. she went around telling my co-workers that we were sexually intimate with each other and went to management and told that we were doing this in the workplace. Managent called me and releived me on the spot. I denied everything and they took her word over mine without any evidence. I was fired with just her word. I Was wondering if I have any case there or if there is anyway I can fget my job back? Please help with any advice.

Erik

Beth3

Sorry but if your employer chose to believe her over you, that's their call. They may have been hasty in making their decision but it wasn't unlawful.

If you have a cause of action against anyone, it would be against the former co-worker who lied about you. You'll need to discuss that with an attorney.

erikperez

What about compensation

I thought I would still be entitled to compensation but keep getting denied. Does that sound correct?

Erik

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If by compensation, you mean unemployment, that's too situation specific to address here. If the UI office also believes the other person, yes, that sounds about right.

If by compensation you mean something from your employer, they have no legal obligation to provide any severance pay unless you have a bona fide contract that guarantees it.

erikperez

I meant unemployment

I'm sorry, but yes I meant the unemployment office. I understand if they beleive the story also I lose both ways. It alll boils down to one person can make something up and ruin somebody's life and there is nothing you can do about it? I know I can seek an attorneyt and go after her but she has nothing, therefore, I lose all ways?

Beth3

Your legal recourse is against the person who slandered you. If it's not worth the while to sue her, then I'm afraid you're SOL. I do sympathize. If she truly made this all up, then you got a really lousy deal. Unfortunately your avenues for legal redress are limited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">