• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully accused of theft!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aktjw7804

What is the name of your state? Indiana On a Friday I was approached by a 2nd shift kitchen supervisor and was asked about some food which I deleted the night before. I told him that it was not ordered and he said it was and he cooked it. I explained that the Manager had to be present for me to delete orders. He proceeded to tell me that if it happened again he would go to the General manager. I told him that over a mistake that would be fine. I then approached my Manager and asked why he didn't come to me and ask me what was going on. He said "i didn't know anything about it." So I went on wiht my day. That Monday I recieved a call and my Manager told me I had stolen $500 worth of food and $125 worth of alcohol and I was fired. I was told this had been happening since April 1st. All of this happened after I saw the Chef take some alcohol. He approached me and asked if I saw him and I told him I was going to have to tell the bar Manager. I had just found out my wife was pregnant and now I am jobless. What should I do and what about the referance from here should I worry? :confused:

Beth3

Being fired because you were wrongly accused of theft is very unfair but it is not illegal. If you can prove that the Chef concocted the whole situation and made the accusations to cover his behind after you saw him stealing, you might have a cause of action against him but the burden of proof would be on you.

I think you may want to contact the Manager and tell him what really went on but even then, they don't have to hire you back.

Apply for UC benefits and start looking for a new job. If your employer contests your eligibility for unemployment, they will have to meet the burden of proof that you stole from them. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">