• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully accused of theft and the terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motohio

What is the name of your state? ohio
Last year I was accused of taking gasoline from work and was put on paid leave for about 6 weeks. Then my lawyer and I were called into a meeting with my boss for a chance to explain. Two or three days later a termination paper came in the mail. What are the laws on this type of termination? Am I innocent until proven guilty or can they just fire me if they think that I did it. They also threatened to file criminal charges but never did.

pattytx

You can be legally terminated just for the suspicion of theft; "innocent until proven guilty" is only valid in a court of law, not in the employment arena. I'm surprised your attorney didn't know that. :eek:

motohio

Ohio

We are going in front of the personnel board at the end of the month. Is there anything that we should do first? We are getting wittness' and trying to prepare but we are nervous.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP -

It would be nice to post ALL pertinent information. The fact that you work(ed) for a State entity will likely change the responses you get here. Same goes if you were represented by a union.

pattytx

OP -

It would be nice to post ALL pertinent information. The fact that you work(ed) for a State entity will likely change the responses you get here. Same goes if you were represented by a union.
My point exactly. Your recourse is whatever the state provides for.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? ohio
Last year I was accused of taking gasoline from work and was put on paid leave for about 6 weeks. Then my lawyer and I were called into a meeting with my boss for a chance to explain. Two or three days later a termination paper came in the mail. What are the laws on this type of termination? Am I innocent until proven guilty or can they just fire me if they think that I did it. They also threatened to file criminal charges but never did.
What was there to "explain"?:confused:

motohio

No there is no union. There was a lot of inappropiate things going on in the office. Such as missuse of company computers and some unwanted sexual advancements on a female employee by another male employee and then was covered up. Can all of this be used to show anything. This board that we go in front of is not a court it is a administrative procedure.

motohio

Nothing I was just wondering if those things could be used to discredit them. Do we have to prove that I did not take it and how do we do that since I did not do it. The gas in question was in a place that was available to all employees and there was no way to track how much gas was used by each employee.

moburkes

Nothing I was just wondering if those things could be used to discredit them. Do we have to prove that I did not take it and how do we do that since I did not do it. The gas in question was in a place that was available to all employees and there was no way to track how much gas was used by each employee.
Ther termination was still legal.

You said that you didn't take the gas, then you say that all employees had access to it, so, therefore, anybody could have taken it, including you. Are you absolutely saying that you didn't take it, or that others besides yourself took it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">