• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LisaBoone

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennesseundefined Full story: I work for a non-profit organization that cares for mentally disabled clients, I spoke to a member of management about some concerns that all staff had with the housemanager doing her job or not doing or job I should say, this happened on 3/09/05, on 3/10/05 I was called at home by a member of management and was told that I was fired because I was a trouble maker. Can they do that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, they can. Complaining to management that someone else is not doing their job properly is not a protected activity.

LisaBoone

Is It Wrong???

cbg said:
Yes, they can. Complaining to management that someone else is not doing their job properly is not a protected activity.
So what your saying is that its not ok for some one to express their concerns? It kind of sounds like retaliation to me, and I thought that was against the law.

pattytx

An employer can retaliate for anything you do, as long as it is not a legally protected activity. That may or may not be fair in your eyes, but it's a legal fact. As cbg advised you, complaining about management is not a protected activity. Therefore, based on your post, you have no legal recourse.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How many of your concerns an employer wants to listen to is up to them. Some will listen to anything you have to say; some won't. But only a small handful of things offer you protection from retaliation, and complaining about another employee is not one of them. If your employer wants to fire you for this, it may not be fair, and it may not even be smart, but it is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">