• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Midnite

Hiya

Recently my bf who works as a personal security consultant in the mall, had stomach pain and had to go to the hospital. They told him that he had appendicitus and had to go in for an operation, and after hearing he didnt have insurance, they assured him with a comforting pat on the hand that 'charity care' would take care of it.

He got operated on and had to take off work for a few weeks.

Afterward, charity care sent him a letter saying that regrettably, it turned out (suprisingly) that they couldnt cover anything at all. Oh well.

He was hit with a $43,000 bill, somehow.

During that week we called his job and told them he had an operation and wouldnt be going to work. They then asked me "well.. will he be in tommorow?" and we just... repeated ourselves.

At the end of the week we came in to get his check and they gave it to us, asking us AGAIN when he'd be back. The doctor said he needed a few more weeks, so we told them not yet.

The next week we came in to get his last check (his checks are two weeks behind) and they refused, telling us that he had to return all the uniforms and badges.

We asked why and they said "oh, didnt we tell you? I guess we forgot... Alberto is fired becuase he was only hired as a seasonal employee"

--

The problem with that is that he was never told he was hired as seasonal. And not only was he never told, but he was offered insurance on the job, and offered into a union. And he even passed the 90 day mark.

We believe the excuse is complete Bullsquat.

Are we right in thinking this, and pursuing legal help?

--midnite

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Exactly how long had he worked for the company? That is very important to what, if any legal claim he can make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">