• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Fired from Wal-mart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guyote

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Texas
I worked at walmart for 11yr and 11mth. I worked in the Garden center last. A year or so ago we got a new Dept. manager and as I did with the previous two and one salaried manager above them, I asked if I could have the broken bricks to use in my long dirt driveway he said yes and said to make a list of what I got (as I did in previous years) and leave it for him at the register so he could take out of the inventory. I have taken a lot of bricks like this, off and on in the past 5 or 6 years, I have several piles at my home that I was saving for my drive.
Last Monday, May 23, 2005, I was terminated for stealing some broken bricks, when I it did the same way I had done many times before.
The store director now tells me that I could have gotten them, "but first a vendor has to look at them so the store can get full credit on them, then a manager would look at them and give you permission to take them.
He also told me that he talked to the dept mgr and he verified that vendors would look at the broken bricks to give credit, This is a lie. Maybe they were supposed to but they never did as I said I have been getting these for years, and dealing with 3 dept mgrs and 1 salaried mgr. and they never mentioned a vendor, and I nor anyone else has seen a vendor look at the bricks.
Wal-mart is accusing me of stealing, I did not.
After almost 12 years of service I had a near excilent history of being on time, I called in sick only 3 or 4 days, I did what they ask, after working there that long I have made a lot of friends and now some of them think I'm a thief.
Is there anything I can do?
Thanks
Brickguy

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not at the present time.

You have not been wrongfully fired. You may have been unfairly fired, but the circumstances you describe do not rise to the legal definition of a wrongful (illegal) termination. Contrary to popular belief, a wrongful termination does not mean one that is unfair, unjust, unexpected, based on innacurate, incorrect or even untrue information, or, in most circumstances, a violation of company policy. In order to qualify as a wrongful term, the termination has to be in violation of a specific state, Federal or municipal law. No law prohibits them from firing you because they believe you were stealing, even if they are wrong, even if you can prove they are wrong, even if the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

cmorris

Sorry about your luck. I don't think there is anything you can do. I doubt those managers are going to collaborate your story; they want to save their own butts.

Have you tried talking to a local attorney to see if they can offer you any information? Lots will do the initial consultation for free.

Beth3

I doubt those managers are going to collaborate your story; they want to save their own butts. I think you mean corroborate.

cbg is correct. The situation may be totally unfair but it's not illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">