• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Let Go?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jess

Subject: Wrongfully Let Go?

Late May I was pursued for a Senior Account Executive position in Wisconsin. The person who had previously held the position was promoted to manager and it was he that contacted me, met with me and eventually hired me. I would not accept the position until I had been able to see my account list, and more importantly, the billing history so I had a clear idea of what I would make. I was told that I would make a certain amount of money. Late in July I was pulled into an office with the group sales manager and my manager. My manager was being de-moted back into sales, and he would be taking back most of his list. I was in turn given an account list that billed less than half of my original, and was similar to an entry level sales position. I was to prospect all of my commission, which was never part of the original agreement. The next week, I made an appointment with the group sales manager and told him I was very upset. He assured me that accounts weren't done being moved around, and that he would "take care of me." A few weeks later my new manager took me out to lunch. He said he wanted to get to know me, and see where I stood. Because I told him I was going to tough things out and try to make it work, he gave me a "30 day review." He told me I was doing a great job, and to hang in there. He also told me that this was a new policy, that all employees had to do this. The 30 day review resembled an "action plan" and I thought of it more of an aid or training tool. Every week I met with my manager (we all did once a week), and every week he said I was doing a great job. Not even 30 days later I was told, unexpectedly that my job was terminated. I was told that my activity level was not up to speed, to pack my things and turn in my. I was asked to sign some form stating I understood my termination, which I signed in the heat of suprise and embarassment. This whole situation seems unfair to me, and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice.

J

JS

Subject: RE: Wrongfully Let Go?

Unfortunately you were burned by this company. If it's any consolation, it happens all the time in companies. (Not very encouraging) In the future, be sure to have an offers for employment outlined in writing. Also, before accepting a position, negotiate a good severance package for yourself in case you are let go unvoluntarily - whether it be through a layoff or a firing. A lot of times employees sign "waivers" while under duress. Typically, you can recant your signing of this agreement if it is within a short time frame (under 21 days). Contact an employment lawyer in your area for further info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">