• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully let go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjules

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I worked for a local credit union for two years. I was the branch supervisor. I worked extremely hard getting this branch off the ground. You see I was there since the day the branch opened. I was never written up, given a warning, verbal or written. I was an excellent employee. I did my job to the best of my ability and the members absolutely loved me. When they found out that I was no longer there, they found my phone number in the book and called and left several messages for me. Anyway... On Friday Morning, I went to work and was met by the VP of Operations(my supervisor) and The board of directors president and the secretary of the board. Several months earlier I was taking out a loan for some fuel oil. We need approval from the board of directors for all employee loans. I was working on a saturday and asked the senior loan officer if she had heard from them yet. She said that another loan officer had been emailing them and that it would be on that computer if they responded. I asked if she wanted me to look and if they did respond I would print off the emails and give them to her. She said that would be great. So I did. I printed off several emails pertaining to my loan and another employees loan and gave them to the senior loan officer. Now back to Friday... The board of directors said that I should not have printed off the emails and that I was to be punished for doing so... The CEO wrote me up and put me on probations for Six months. The VP stated that Board of Directors did not feel that the punishment was severe enough and they were requesting my resignation or my position was going to be eliminated. I was so shocked. I mean.. I was an incredible employee that devoted herself to the CU. I worked with the members and increased the membership dramatically. I feel that I was done wrong so to speak.. There was nothing in the policy manual about printing emails... Do I have a leg to stand on?

Hot Topic

{Quote}Several months earlier I was taking out a loan for some fuel oil. We need approval from the board of directors for all employee loans. I was working on a saturday and asked the senior loan officer if she had heard from them yet. She said that another loan officer had been emailing them and that it would be on that computer if they responded. I asked if she wanted me to look and if they did respond I would print off the emails and give them to her. She said that would be great. So I did.{Quote}

Approval for employee loans had to come from the board of directors. Another loan officer had been emailing them. Did you know for a fact that the senior loan officer had the authority to allow you to print off the emails and give them to you instesd of the loan officer who was handling them?
Did you have the right to look at other employees' loan requests? I think those are where your problems lay.

In any case, I doubt you'll have trouble getting another job if you're as wonderful as you think you are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">