• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully terminated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

latoyiar01

I live in Mississippi and I need help about this situation. I began working in a convenience store in December 2005 as a cashier. I informed the owners and manager of my other job as a newspaper agent. I explained my work hours and they told me that it was fine. They allowed me to work the evening shift. The owners and manager was impressed of my work performance and promoted me to assistant manager in February. Around a month later I evaluated and given a pay raise in March. In May 2005, the owners sold the store to three partners and the new owners told the manager and I that everyone would stay and everything would remain the same. In June 2005, the new owners called me to come in on my day off so they could talk to me. They were not impressed of the managers work performance and they were in the process of terminating him because of his rudeness to customers. They told me that they wanted to make me manager and I told them I would accept. Since they were so many hours going into payroll, they wanted to get rid of some people and bring in a new staff. They asked me to find some new employees or I could keep the old crew. I told them that I was satisified with the crew that was already present. They asked me to tell them some things about the manager that were bad so they could have a good reason to fire him. I told them that I couldn't do that. About three weeks later, I was informed that the manager would be terminated in about four days and I would take his position. On July 4, 2005, I began my shift and was called to the office and told that a new manager would be in and I was to show her how everything went in the store. I was shocked at the decision because I thought the job was given to me but I was fine with after all. The owner told me that I would keep my same position and to do everything the same like I have in the past. When I was introduce to the new manager, she was not friendly to me at all and gave me rude looks. I told her when the orders are to be placed and when we receive them. from the four days she worked, she gave me a hard time and acted like she didn't want me to help. I noticed that the schedule had been changed without any notice and I informed her that I had another job and the new schedule would intervene between my other job. I asked her did the owners tell her of my work schedule and she said no. She told me she would fix it according to my schedule. So the next day, I noticed that it still wasn't changed and I called her and she was very rude to me and told me she wasn't changing anything and that I will not come in and take over her store. She told me she didn't like my job performance and that I wasn't acting like an assistant manager and I was totally confused because I couldn't understand what I did wrong. She told me that it wasn't my job to do any of her work and if the manager is lacking in doing something, I was told as assistant manager to back him or her up. She wasn't consistent of everyone else's schedule and I found out later on that day that she wanted to hire her friend in my spot. So after the rude talk, I called the owner and explained to him that I was having a problem at work and explained to him how I been treated. He told me that she was upset because I didn't clean the grill pan at work and since no one didn't use the grill during my shift, I didn't think to clean it. I told him that I apologize to her and she didn't seem to listen. I told him that from the three days I have talked to her, it was hard for me to do my job since she was putting me under pressure. He then stated well what do you want me to do and I told him that the manager and I should be a team and we need a resolution to the problem. He then just paused on the phone and never said a thing. So I told him that I was just calling him to inform him of the problem and he said okay and he hung up. The next day, I had to call my supervisor of my other job to tell her that my bill money would be late because i had to work and didn't have time to collect with so short of notice. So when I went to work on Saturday July 9, two hours later I was sent home by the manager because she was informed that I quit and that she already hired someone in my spot that morning. (Hired someone on a Saturday and she didn't have an application in at all) I told her I didn't quit and she told me that owner told her that I did. I then called the owner and spoke to him about the matter. He stated, "You said you have trouble doing your job because you are under pressure and I assume that you quit." I told him that wasn't saying that I quit, I was saying that there is a problem and we need to work something out. He said well that's what I thought. So asked him does this mean I don't work here anymore. He said what did the manager say and I told him she said she wasn't putting up with my mess and I didn't work there anymore. He said that I had to do what the manager said. So I said well I guess I can't argue with ya'll about it because her mind is made up. So I was told to go home. I filed for unemployment and they told them that I voluntarily quit my job because I said I couldn't work certain days. I have a hearing scheduled, what can I do to prove that I didnt quit because this was simply unjust and not fair. The manager tried to imitimidate me so I could get fired or quit so she could hire her friend. Can someone please help me. Thank you!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What happened to you may have been unfair, but it does not even remotely meet the legal definition of a wrongful termination.

File for unemployment and look for a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">