• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ERyan20

I was "let go" Tuesday by my employer (large retail chain). They informed me the main reason was because I did not come in last Saturday. I informed them that if they would have looked at the schedule that they would have seen I was not even scheduled to come in as it stated I was off. They then paused and told me they were firing me for "poor work performance". The guy who fired has never seen me work so I went to my department head, who was in charge of me and asked him. He informed me the main reason I was fired was because I missed a day of work, which I then explained the whole scenario over to him. I then asked about my so called "poor work performance" and he said it might have been for kicking a box or sitting on a box. I'm pretty sure this is bullcrap and they screwed up by not looking at the schedule and just wanted to get rid of me.

I did sign some type of contract with them but i cannot remember what it said. Should I obtain the contract I signed and do I have a case here? I think I do and am 85% sure I am going to sue for wrongful termination and breach of contract. Please give me some advice.

crager34

at-will

Chances are the state you are in, is an "at-will" work state. If this is the case, your best best is to swallow your pride and move on to what is sure to be a much better job. If it is not "at-will", find that contract and read it. You might have a case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">