• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully Terminated In PA - ADA Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Magicman4473

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Please forgive the verbosity of this posting. This is a critical problem in my life, and I didn’t want to leave any details out.

Here is a short summary version for those that don’t have time:

I started a 100% Commisioned sales job on Jan 3, 2006. I was fired for being late four times……all of them collectively totaled only 15 mins late. I was late on the 4th, and the 5th, but didn’t receive any verbal or written warnings as the employee handbook stipulates. Then on Jan 10th I was 7 minutes late for work. I was written up with a final warning, told that if I was late again Id be terminated. I live in Pennsylvania.

I have attention deficit disorder, which is covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act. The afternoon of the 10th, I made a formal request in writing for accommodations in reference to my arrival time as allowed by the ADA. I was so upset at the prospect of losing this job that I was up every half hour that night having trouble breathing and almost throwing up each time. Despite getting no sleep, I headed in on Jan 11th, but was 2 minutes late. The owner of the company fired me.

I feel I have an open and shut case here. He should have allowed me the accommodations, since my arrival a few minutes late affects no one elses schedule, and there is no possible way it would cause any “undue hardship” to the organization.

I want my job back immediately. I don’t feel I should have been dismissed in the first place. The owner feels it is unreasonable for me to ask him to modify this policy, but as the law is written, it is clearly not.

I am in a bad financial position at them moment, and this job was crucial to my survival. This lack of compassion on his part is costing me very dearly. How strong of a case do you feel I would have against him? Should he not change his mind, I feel I am forced to take any and all legal actions against him that I can. This whole ordeal has been very troubling in more ways then he could imagine. He also knew I had ADD prior to hiring me. So, he didn’t discriminate then, why discriminate now? I had a great working relationship there, to my knowledge there was no other reason why he wouldn’t want me on board.

I appreciate any insight you can provide!

Here’s the long version:

I have Attention Deficit Disorder, for which I am taking medication. The meds help, but they're not a cure-all. I have been fired from two jobs in the last three months for being late to work. No matter how hard I try, it’s not uncommon for me to be late, it's a part of the disability. This is mostly in the morning before my meds really kick in.

The first of the two jobs in question, I did not mention my ADD until it was too late.

The most recent job, I did everything right. I had a pre employment physical, in which I told them I have ADD and what medications I take. My employer knew this, and hired me anyway. (He admitted knowing it). Attendance is very important to this guy. He made that clear. He is ex Air Force, so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I respect the need to be on time, but I simply couldn’t pull it off.

I work as a salesperson. One of the benefits to that is flexibility in scheduling. I started the job on January 3rd, 2006….I was scheduled for 9am. I arrived on time. During the course of the day, my immediate supervisor informed me that I would be required to be at work at 8am each day, since this is the time all of the service technicians are in the building, and it would be good for me to interact with them before they go out on their jobs. They help supply my leads, so I need to be on good terms with them. That’s a fine idea, but I was nervous about having to be there at 8 each day. At no time during the interview process (3 interviews) or even in the written job offer did they ever mention these hours.

I was late the next two days! Jan 4th I was late by about two minutes. No one said anything. At all. The next day was their weekly meeting. I arrived at 8:03 just as my supervisor was heading up the steps to start the meeting. No one said anything about my lateness. Now, although I knew timeliness was important to the owner of the company, I was not disciplined in any way for these infractions. As a result of that, it gave me the impression that there was no problem. Not to say I wouldn’t try to be on time every day….but rather, I didn’t feel any reason to be alarmed.

The company has a very detailed, professionally written employee handbook. On pg 35 of this handbook, it states their disciplinary procedures. 1st offense is to be a verbal warning. 2nd Offense is to be written. 3rd as well. Then 4th = termination.

I was not late again until Tuesday January 10th. I was 7 minutes late. I knew that was a problem, so after the morning rush died down a bit, I went into my supervisor’s office to talk about it. He then informed me that the owner was pissed, and wanted him to write me up for being late three times….and if it every happened again I’d be terminated! I really couldn’t believe it. I got no verbal warning. No second warning. I simply cannot operate with that hanging over my head….knowing that one more strike and I’m out. Therefore, in response to the write up, I wrote a formal letter requesting accommodations to my arrival time as allowed by the Americans With Disabilities Act. I made this request in writing, and gave it to my supervisor on the afternoon of the Jan 10th, 2006. I printed a copy for the owner as well, but I requested that my supervisor not leave it in his mailbox or laying on his desk, since the owner had left the office for the day already. I didn’t want other office staff to see it.

That letter was the first time I mentioned my ADD to them. I did put it on the medical forms, which they did see prior to hiring me…….but at no time during the interview process did I mention it……not that it matters. The letter itself didn’t actually say ADD, but I did tell my supervisor what my disability was.

This final notice write up I got on the 10th really blindsided me. That “all in one” final warning write up was not the way the company employee handbook stated these things should be handled. If I had gotten a verbal warning on the 4th, and a written on the 5th……..I would have had at least a better understanding of their position. I was so upset by it that I couldn’t sleep that night. I was up at least twice an hour, every hour of the night, having some sort of anxiety attacks and nearly throwing up each time. Luckily, I have an iron stomach and didn’t. I have never had such attacks before in my life. I suppose it was just the importance of this job, and the possibility of losing it was horrifying. I had my body so worked up that I had diarrhea right before I had to leave for work on Wednesday morning ( Jan 11th, 2006)

Wednesday was the weekly meeting day again. This meeting was to be the only meeting of the month that would be given by the owner of the company. Despite my best efforts, I arrived at 8:02. I started to walk into the conference room, but the owner waved me off……..like, a “don’t bother coming in here” type of wave. So I went to my desk and went about my day as best I could.

Later that morning, I was summoned to the owners office, along with my supervisor. I sat down, and the owner says “I’ve made a decision…..I’m going to let you go.” I asked my supervisor if he showed him the letter……..which he had not. So, I am now fighting an uphill battle, since the man’s mind was made up before I even entered that room. We discussed the ADA briefly, and my request for accommodations. Basically, he didn’t feel that it was reasonable for me to expect him to allow me to be late, when it is the foundation of their type of work……..and everyone else has to be.

With that being said, I need to point out two things. Firstly, I am a sales person…….a different role then anyone else in the company. If I’m late to the office, it’s really not that big of a deal. It’s not like being late to a customer’s house for an sales appointment. I have an impressive track record from my previous sales job….I had an 81% demonstration rate…….the highest in that company. That means, 81% of the addresses they sent me to, I demonstrated the product. I “one call closed” 51.3% of those. You don’t get those types of numbers by being late to your appointments!

Secondly, the ADA clearly allows for this type of accommodation. There is all kinds of language in there that supports it, regardless of whether or not they do it for other employees. There is no way it can be argued that me being late to the office would cause the company “undue hardship.” It wouldn’t literally cost them anything, and it would not truly disrupt anyone else’s schedule.

He decided to fire me anyway. He didn’t even look at the letter until I was cleaning out my desk. As he walked me to the door, he told he had “skimmed” the letter……and it sounded like I was suing him. The letter said no such thing. It was short, and to the point…….simply requesting the accommodation as allowed by the ADA.

Last edited:

Magicman4473

The most ridiculous thing about this whole situation is that I was hired on commission only! I was not costing him any labor dollars. I had spent the last full week training on a proprietary computer software program, which I was able to figure out better then anyone else at that company. My supervior has limited experience with computers, and apparently the gentleman they had selling for them previously was not very computer literate. They paid $4000 for this software, and I was the only person that came along able to actually use it!

I really don’t understand why he wouldn’t work this out. I got along great with both of these guys. My interviews went great. My first two were both two hours long each! I was doing well on my research and training, and everyone around the office was really nice. I don’t think I had any problems with anyone, whatsoever….besides being late four times. I still have no hard feelings towards them if they would let me back there. I would love to work for them. It was a tremendous opportunity for me, and one that I needed more then anyone there will ever know.

I have myself in a really bad financial situation right now, and I truly needed this job. It was like a last chance lifeline thrown to a drowning man………and he took it away. My ADD caused the demise of my own business, which I started in 1998. I was not diagnosed and treated for ADD until 2004. By that time, it was far too late to save my business. That situation has my credit in ruins, and more debt then I care to speak of. The sales job I had since January of 2005 I voluntarily quit back in November because the travel was just too much. I was only seeing my kids to bed on Sunday nights. It was not working well with family life.

On top of my long term money issues, I had waited a good two or three weeks to get started at this job. Because of that, I have my bills stretched to their limits. The mortgage is two months behind now. Someone else paid for my kids Christmas presents this year. I cancelled my health insurance effective December 31 since this new job had paid benefits. Now, my family has no health insurance. My wife and I both have conditions that require prescriptions and doctors visits, and my youngest son ( I have two) has a breathing condition that gives him a propensity for getting sick. I really need that insurance.

I spoke to the owner a couple days after he let me go. He told me that he knew prior to hiring me that I had ADD and another unrelated disorder. He said he also checked my credit report, and despite all of the above hired me anyway. I thought to myself, “that’s great” …… but what is the sense in that? He did not discriminate in hiring me, but yet refused to give a simple accommodation so I could remain employed?

I feel he was clearly in the wrong in this situation, and I want it fixed immediately. If I can’t get my job reinstated, I will regrettably move on. I will also file a complaint with the EEOC and take this man to court as soon as I am able, and sue him for the absolute maximum the law will allow. I won’t do it for the money, nor revenge. Rather, I want him to never do this again, and encourage others not to. I think employers in “at will” states think they can do just about anything they want to ………and they are so wrong.

This situation, on top of everything else from the past, has us distraught. My wife actually collapsed the other day from the stress. She was breathing heavily, laying on our living room floor…..begging for help. I didn’t know what to do! We have no health insurance anymore….ambulance rides cost over $500. I don’t even want to know what an emergency room visit would cost. I put the kids upstairs so they were no longer staring at their mother laying on the floor. Yeah, there’s a nice long standing childhood memory for my six year old to have…… I actually removed the phone from upstairs so my 6 year old couldn’t call 911 like he has been instructed to do if “mommy can’t talk”. Pathetic. So, then she passes out. At that point, I figured I’d take her no matter what, but when I started to pick her up to carry her to the car, she woke up and crawled upstairs. She’s physically ok, but I’m not sure any of them will ever forget that scene.

During my phone conversation with my boss the other day, he told me he felt threatened by me. I didn’t not get loud, yell, curse, or any such thing. I’m not like that. If I did, I don’t remember it….but it’s unlikely. I think it was the mere mention of a LAW that made him fearful. What he doesn’t understand, and I neglected to convey to him……is that it was actually ME that was threatened. If he could employ a bit of compassion, he could put himself in my shoes and understand how I might have felt. I got no proper warnings, then all of a sudden am told that I am going to lose this job that I love and worked so hard to get……if I’m late just once more. Isn’t that threatening? Wouldn’t that be enough to put anyone on the defensive?

What I need to know now is, how strong of a case do I have for a discrimination claim? I feel it’s pretty much an open and shut case. It’s a shame that I was late the very next day after that write up, but they should consider themselves lucky I was there at all……after being up most of the night, on the toilet when I should have been eating breakfast, and not being paid for my training time anyway. I really wanted to attend the owner’s meeting though. I tried. I made the request for accommodations in writing the day before, so when I didn’t make it to the meeting on time, I was upset, but I thought I would be covered. I never in a million years expected this.

I would like him to give me a second chance. Collectively, all 4 of my late arrivals only total up to 15 MINUTES. Looking back on my time spent there, I can’t think of a single moment aside from the lateness that would make them unhappy with me in any way. I even asked him if there was anything besides the lateness, and he did not indicate that there was.

Even though all of this went down the way it did, I don’t have any hard feelings about it and I’ll put it behind me in a heartbeat. ADD is misunderstood by a lot of people, so I understand. I just want a chance to get out there and make some sales for him. He has a great company, very well run, a clean cut image, and I am a perfect fit to represent them. I just need some understanding if I’m late every now and then.

Aside from his ignorance of this law, I truly have nothing but respect for the man. I really don’t want to be forced to sue him. The timing of this firing could not have been worse, however. The mental anquish this has caused for me, my wife, and both of our extended families is unbelievable. My in-laws are in tears. My father is literally speechless about it. If I don’t get it back, or don’t get another substantial job immediately, I am going to have to sell my house to avoid foreclosure in February……and this is too much for our marriage to bear….it might actually split us up. The damages from this one decision of his are immense. It’s too much for me to just brush aside.

Anyone with insight to this matter, I would greatly appreciate your comments and prayers (if you are so inclined). I need both.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Magicman
(Pennsylvania)

[email protected]

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your post is WAY too long. Cut it down to about 1/8ths of that size and maybe someone will give you an answer.

JETX

Oh, and be sure to explain how your ADD is DIRECTLY related to your being late (which is the stated reason for your termination).
A 'disability' is NOT a 'pass' for all kinds of excuses.

Gadfly

I would be interested in reading your response to Jetx. Sounds like a modification of your personal schedule is what is called for.

HomeGuru

JETX said:
Oh, and be sure to explain how your ADD is DIRECTLY related to your being late (which is the stated reason for your termination).
A 'disability' is NOT a 'pass' for all kinds of excuses.

**A: good point. A disability is not even an excuse for posting long diatribe threads.

weenor

Note: ADD would not be considered a disability under the ADA unless you can show that it substantially effects at least one major activity of daily living...I know lots of folks with ADD and haven't seen that one yet.

CarrieT

Magicman4473 said:

Anyone with insight to this matter, I would greatly appreciate your comments and prayers (if you are so inclined). I need both.
All of your posts are very long and very difficult to sift through, as you mix personal emotional sentiment along with your questions regarding the legalities of what transpired.

Your best bet is to start with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Home page. It has some very useful links and advice on what to do /who to contact if you feel your rights have been violated. They would be best able to point you in a positive direction.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

Best of luck
Carrie

xylene

weenor said:
Note: ADD would not be considered a disability under the ADA unless you can show that it substantially effects at least one major activity of daily living...I know lots of folks with ADD and haven't seen that one yet.
Glad your comrades are doing SO well..... OTH I know lots of folks with severe ADD and have yet to see one where the condition didn't substantially impact nearly ALL areas of daily living.

Of those who have acknowledged the difficulty there condition truly causes them- if they could limit its impact to one major activity of daily living- it would be a minor miracle.

OP's post is too long.

OP needs to pull it together, and get out the telephone book, get on the phone with local support groups who can guide him to the specific resources he needs to deal with his employment issues past and future.

ouch

I for one feel sorry that you have this trouble in your life. It seems some on here just want to act all high and mighty and not provide answers Not all people are affected the same way by disabilities and for some one to say they know people with add that are not affected like you is pompus and rediculous. How do they know what these people go through on a daily basis? As for the length of your post The same person griped that mine wasn't long enough. If you don't have any constructive advice move on and don't answer.
From what I have found persueing my own ada violation I think you have a strong case. You must file with the EEOC as soon as possible.

Best wishes and good luck.

JETX

ouch said:
I for one feel sorry that you have this trouble in your life. It seems some on here just want to act all high and mighty and not provide answers Not all people are affected the same way by disabilities and for some one to say they know people with add that are not affected like you is pompus and rediculous. How do they know what these people go through on a daily basis? As for the length of your post The same person griped that mine wasn't long enough. If you don't have any constructive advice move on and don't answer.
From what I have found persueing my own ada violation I think you have a strong case. You must file with the EEOC as soon as possible.
Best wishes and good luck.
Other than some 'warm fuzzies'.... What legally accurate advice did YOUR sophomoric, inane droolings give to the writer???

CarrieT

ouch said:
As for the length of your post The same person griped that mine wasn't long enough. If you don't have any constructive advice move on and don't answer.
Actually thats patently incorrect. cbg gave YOU some very sound advice on your own post, as well as stating accurately that more information was needed.

And both xylene and I mentioned the length of the OPs postings as well, while also giving advice which could be helpful.

However, apart from commiseration, I dont see that you had any more stupendously insightful advice to offer the OP than anyone else.

<<jetx Too bad being a DICK isn't covered by the ADA, you could get complete disability.>>

As for your above statement.... lol.... people name call when they havent a valid arguement to present. Ill let you decide if your ineptitude is showing :)

Carrie

Magicman4473

cbg: I know the post was too long. I started with a "short version" for those that didnt want too much detail.

=========================================

Jetx: ADD causes immense time management difficulties. It seemingly doesnt matter even if I get up earlier**************.somehow I find a way to run behind.

Most of the problem lies in the fact that when I wake up, I am not on the medication. I take an extended release med, so I take it when I wake up, but it doesnt kick in right away. Therefore, I am not myself in the mornings. I also take another medication at night (for an unrelated problem) that causes drowsiness. I'm not easy to get up in the morning. A dump truck could crash thru my room and I might not notice......

===================================================

I have seen it mentioned in many places that ADD is covered under the ADA.

Here is one section that might apply: I do have a seizure disorder as well, although it's not epilepsy.

1. When is epilepsy a disability under the ADA?

Epilepsy is a disability when it substantially limits one or more of a person's major life activities. Major life activities are basic activities that an average person can perform with little or no difficulty, such as walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, performing manual tasks, caring for oneself, learning, and working. Major life activities also include thinking, concentrating, interacting with others, reproduction, and sleeping.

Epilepsy may be a disability because of limitations that occur as the result of seizures or because of side effects or complications that can result from medications used to "control" the condition.

Example: Some individuals take drugs that control their seizures but make them drowsy, unable to concentrate, or unable to sleep. An individual who is substantially limited in major life activities such as sleeping, thinking, concentrating, or caring for himself as a result of these side effects would have a disability under the ADA.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I know the post was long. I understand forum ettiquete, as I used to administer two VBulletin boards of my own.....one rather large. I just didnt want to leave anything out**************but gave a synopsis at the top for those with limited time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">