• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongfully terminated and possibly unable to collect unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terr9569

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH. I worked for Walgreens for 1 yr and 7 months. I was promoted a couple of times. I was fired one day for allegedly stealing trial size scope bottles. I was called into the office by two managers and the loss prevention guy from the district office. They asked me if I had a drinking problem or was an alcholic? I didn't know what they were talking about. Well to get to the point, they were accusing me of stealing these. I don't even drink. They showed me a video of myself standing near the display. I work there. I am sure there were videos of many different employees by the display. I begged them to investigate further and they would clearly see I wasnt stealing anything. I asked them to show me a video of me actually stealing. I know they didn't have one because I didn't steal anything. They told me that didn't have to show me anything. and they would investigate but only to build a case against me. They wanted me to sign a statement admitting to it. I refused. I will not admit to anything I didn't do. I have a 6 month old son too. They told me I would be prosecuted if I didn't admit to it, and I would have a warrant out for my arrest and go to prison and be taken away from my son. To just admit it and pay for the scope. Either way they said I will be fired anyways. Well I still refused. I didn't know what was going on. I did nothing. They also said if I didn't admit to it that I would be blamed for other things that were missing, money from the till, cameras, etc. They said just by me being a "hard worker " it made me look suspicious. Because the LP guy said nobody likes to work hard. Usually the hard workers are trying to hide something. Well I am just a hard worker , it makes the day go by faster. I am certainly not stealing from the company that I make money from . As a matter of fact, a few weeks prior I found a customer's wallet in the bathroom (where there is no video cameras) I located the license, and also saw there was money and credit cards in there. I called the customer to tell her I found it , and gave it to the same two managers to put in the office. I could've very well stole the wallet without anyone knowing if I was such a thief. I called my boss the next day and asked if they investigated further. He said yes. I know he was lying. He told me over the phone I was fired. He also told me that I wouldn't be able to find a job because I was being put on the retail do not hire data base. Whatever that is. Well apparently, unemployment will be hard too. because they have me as being fired for theft. Now the manager and another department head has been going around telling other employees that he saw me stealing on video. That is such a lie! There can't be such a video. I DIDN'T STEAL ANYTHING. They are also adding in the fact that I ate a candy bar before paying for it. But that is a practice all employees do when they are working the front checkout. We save the upc bar code and then pay for it afterwards. I do still have my receipt for the candy bar. Do I have any rights? How is it possible that they can ruin my life over something that isn't factual? I have a 6 month old baby to support by myself. Kind of hard when I can't get another job or even collect unemployemnt.

Thank YouWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that you were fired for a reason prohibited by law. It does not mean that you were fired for something you didn't do.

Apply for unemployment. If denied, appeal.

Yertle8

I applaud you for not signing the civil repayment agreement admitting that you stole when you did not. So many people come here and complain that they have to repay Macy's $500 for a $20 item their 'friend' stole because they were bullied into signing an agreement admitting guilt.

Apply for unemployment, whether you receive the benefits or not is NOT up to your employer. They can challenge it, but do not make the decision.

Keep looking for a job, you will not be unemployed forever. If you need to, find something outside of retail. Assuming your post is all true, you did everything the right way.
But you don't have a wrongful termination case. Just find another job.

commentator

Bravo! Kudos to you for not letting them beat you down into signing something that was not true! You know everything they said to you was basically wrong wrong wrong. They cannot press charges against you unless they have evidence. You know they do not. They cannot keep you from receiving unemployment. They cannot see that you never work again.

You will file for your unemployment, and the unemployment office will take a statement about what has happened. Did you steal something? is the leading question. Keep the business about eating and ringing up the candy bars out if they don't bring it up, it's just extra flak. Assure them you did not steal the Scope, have never stolen anything at work, have never had any warnings, write ups, or problems before.

They will contact the employer, and whatever they say a decision will be made. This is called an initial decision. If the claim is denied, you will then file an appeal and have a hearing. They will have to submit the evidence that they have that you stole something. They will have to convince the department that they had a good misconduct reason to terminate you. Your word has just as much weight as theirs. They do not get to say whether you get the benefits or not.

I wonder if perhaps your sudden unpopularity is a result of the found wallet? These two people may want to get you out of the picture soon and clean. Maybe you should call the police department, tell them where you worked, explain about the found wallet and give them the names of the two managers you gave the wallet to.

By the way, I LOVE the idea of the "all-the-retail-stores-in-the-world-no-hire-forever" list. They must think you're really easy to fool! What state department oversees this one? These guys sound like crooks to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wonder if perhaps your sudden unpopularity is a result of the found wallet? These two people may want to get you out of the picture soon and clean. Maybe you should call the police department, tell them where you worked, explain about the found wallet and give them the names of the two managers you gave the wallet to.
All good except for the above. Why get drawn in to a tit-for-tat?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">