• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongfully terninated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

airwerx1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia

I was denied a contract renewal in May, 2009 from my former employer. At the time when I was informed of this, I was told I had 45 minutes to submit a letter of resignation to my supervisor, or my personnel file would be label 'non- renewed'. It was explained to me by my supervisor that this would make re-employment in the future more difficult than 'resigned'. I complied with this request.
Since that time, I have applied repeatedly for unemployment benefits, as I have been unable to find employment in my profession (education) or any other field for over four months. My employer continues to block my applications for unemployment benefits and has provided shifting reasons for my seperation each time.

Originally, their position was I had resigned.
When I informed DOL of the situation surrounding my resignation (resign or be terminated) my former employer responded with-

'He was terminated for not fullfilling his obligation to be fully certified by the end of the 2009 school year"

I appealled, submitting a letter from my supervisor dated in Jan. 2009, informing me that I to complete my certification by 2011, and that I was to keep her informed of my progress to do so. This appeal was denied because my employer said as of June '09 I had not shown any effort toward reaching this goal.

I have appealed again, and have submitted copies of documents I have proving my complience with my supervisors request; proving my activities to seek, gain acceptance into an approved certification program, and keeping my supervisor informed of these activities. I have also included correspondences between myself, my employers HR representatives, my supervisor and a regional organization that provides educators with approved programs to complete their certifications.
Not only do these particular documents demonstrate my continuing efforts to achieve my certification goal, they also say (from my employers HR reps.) "this program will suit your needs, you are scheduled to start in July (09) and only need the ok from Ms. Dodgen (my former supervisor)".
I had kept my supervisor aware of my efforts to enter this program and several other programs, as she requested, and she in the end denied my request.

My question is-
Is this the grounds for a wrongful termination case?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A wrongful termination means that there exists a specific law that prohibits the employer from terming you for the reason he did.

What law do you believe was violated?

airwerx1

I'm not sure what the laws are concerning these matters-
I'm just seeing in my evidence I submitting for my unemployment benefits appeal, that my employers reasons surrounding my dismissal don't hold up to the evidence of my employment oblgations, and my activities to fullfill those.
Basically-
I was dismissed in June 2009 for not fullfilling obligations that I was working toward completeing before the imposed deadline of 2011.
That doesn't seem like a justifiable reason for termination, does it?
I'm wondering if this is a violation of any employment law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">