• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WrongfullyTerminated for Harrassing coworker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swiftcloser3

What is the name of your state? California

Can anyone tell me if I have a case or what I need to do?
I was accused by a coworker of 2 things in the past 3 weeks and terminated.

1)The co worker said that I continually asked her if She liked our supervisor. She said I came over to her desk and Said "do you like "his name" over and over until she said I like him as a coworker. she said she got upset when I kept asking.

What happened from my recollection is this: we have a company basketball team in which myself and my supervisor(i'll call him BLANK) are the Managers...the female coworker that played with us on the team last season had not specified if she was going to play this season...when I was completing the roster I went over to her desk and asked if she was going to play this season...(The day before, BLANK had told me and her he wouldnt be participating due to he was getting married and didn t have time.) So when i asked her she said NO she wouldn't be playing either...then I asked her if she wasn't playing because BLANK wasn't playing and she said no she had other commitments also...so I went back to my desk and completed finishing the roster... That's all that was said...

2) she said a few days later that I told her she was selfish for having a child out of wedlock. that I told her that she should have used a condom and she never should have gaped her legs open, and that she was so appalled she told me to be quiet and walked away.

what happened as I remember was she called me over to her desk and when i got there she showed me some houses on her computer that she was thinking of purchasing, really expensive houses near the 1 million dollar range, so I said don't you think those houses are a little too much and your boyfriend doesnt have a job.(he's training to be a fireman)so she said when he got out of training he and her salaries would be over 100k a year plus his family was wealthy and they could afford it. So I said dont you think your're being a little selfish putting that on him, she replied no and that he wanted it too, so I told her he was probably doing it because he loves her and wanted to keep her happy but I thought that was selfish of her and that in the past she has seem selfish to me from our conversations..she asked me how do I define selfish so i told her many ways, when people have children out of wedlock, i thought thats being selfish, she said she had a daughter out of wedlock but it was an accident, I said true, but you could avoid it in the future if you simply use protection or even better if you gonna have sex and dont have protection use your will power and say no....She agreed and I went back to my desk.

two weeks later I get called into HR and was told what she said above an they fired me within 2 days of speaking to me and not letting me write my side of the story down to give to them to investigate...I am 49 years old and this girl is 20...Is this grounds for dismissal?

ecmst12

At 49 years old, you should know that those are things you can only say to your family and your CLOSEST friends. It was completely inappropriate to have a conversation like that with your coworker. When you are at work, you should know to be polite and keep your personal judgements to yourself - even if it seems like the person is asking for your opinion. You deserved to get fired and hopefully you have learned something from it.

Beth3

So a co-worker showed you some homes she and her BF were thinking of purchasing and you start lecturing her about how selfish she is, how they should spend their money, discussing her sex life and how to avoid having another child out of wedlock? :eek: Since your co-worker did not ASK for your analysis on how she's living her life and you're not her mother, all I can say is that you should keep your opinions to yourself and mind your own business.

xylene

Are you male or female?

Because, either way those conversations were crazy, but if you were one of those genders... it comes of sounding really crazy. (and I mean your version.)

Like a huge implied threat.

fairisfair

Are you male or female?

Because, either way those conversations were crazy, but if you were one of those genders... it comes of sounding really crazy. (and I mean your version.)

Like a huge implied threat.
uh. . . .X. . . . is there another one???:D

xylene

If this person is male, then the "get with someone uses protection" sounds like a thinly veiled rape threat.

If female, then its creepy nobodies business (and quite worthy of dismissal too.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We're getting a little off track here, I think.

The point is that this was not only not a wrongful termination, it was a legal, ethical, and quite justified termination.

Beth3

If this person is male, then the "get with someone uses protection" sounds like a thinly veiled rape threat.

If female, then its creepy nobodies business (and quite worthy of dismissal too.)
I think you're going overboard there, xylene. I could see that potentially being construed as making a pass but it would depend on how it was said, who said it, etc.

xylene

If someone at work implied they were gonna use a condom to 'teach' me about not getting pregnant... well I guess you could see that as a pass if you were real charitable about peoples weirdness...

But CGB is right. (as always) :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">