• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

yet another wrongful termination info needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

low_clazz

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I am a part time employee of a well known local hospital. Just recently, a co-worker and I had a disagreement. He accused me of taking a longer break than i really had and after i tried to explain to him what happened...he snapped. He began yelling and screaming at me (mind you he is not a supervisor, he is a brand new employee who is still on probation). I then tell him to follow me and we will get the situation straightened out by confirming where i really was with another employee. as i was walking down the hall he came running up behind me and grabbed my chest as he ripped my name badge off screaming, "you don't deserve to work here." i then told him that that was assualt and he can pretty much count on not having a job here anymore. so, out of anger he shoved me back against a wall and took off running. he ran and tried to tell other employees (because he knew he was going to be fired so my guess is he was trying to build an alliance to save his butt) that I was the one who threatened him and that i was going to beat him up. Luckily, the other employees know me alot better than that and disagreed with him which only pissed him off more. so he then called the 3 supervisers and began telling them that i assualted him. needless to say, since i have many reasons not to trust my supervisers because they have a reputation of not being good managers, that i may be fired because of the ordeal. i never threatened him. never did anything that would danger my job.

if i am fired, should i contact a lawyer and sue? my career future is a firefighter and if i am fired for this i will not be allowed to be hired as a firefighter. remember, you have to be able to work as a team in a fire department and this would not show very good teamwork, regardless if i did nothing wrong. and you CANNOT be hired if you show proof of horrible teamwork at previous employers. thanks for the advice once again!

Beth3

if i am fired, should i contact a lawyer and sue? I suppose you could sue the co-worker for asaulting you but you have no claim to make against the employer if that's what you're asking. If they decide to terminate you because of this incident, even if you are totally blameless, they will not have done anything illegal.

low_clazz

how much could i be able to get from the co-worker who assaulted me?

he did admit to assaulting me in front of TWO other employee's!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's not something that can be established in an internet forum. You'll have to discuss that with a local attorney.

Beth3

how much could i be able to get from the co-worker who assaulted me? That's something you need to discuss with an attorney who practices personal injury law. Keep in mind you can't get blood from a stone. Even if you got a $100,000 judgment against the guy (a figure I picked out of thin air), if he doesn't have any money or assets with which to pay you, all you're left with is a pile of attorney's fees.

He pushed you and yelled at you. I tend to doubt that's worth much in the way of monetary damages. Whether you can hold him legally liable for your damages if you are terminated is unknown.

low_clazz

well, i got sent home from work today because of the ordeal. firing might be in my near future...hopefully not. i appreciate your help beth and im currently searching for a lawyer to seek some official legal advice. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">