• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

You Are Not Going To Believe This One!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chylidog

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KANSAS

A few pertinent facts about me - I am a 40 year old caucasian male. I have a B.S. Degree from a four (4) year University in Criminal Justice/Sociology. I have 5+ years experience as a working probation officer and another 5+ years experience in other related fields. In 2002, I became disabled due to kidney failure. I have since had a successful kidney transplant and have been cleared by my doctors to return to work. :eek:

One month ago I turned in a completed job application and resume in response to a job posting for a entry level probation officers position within the State of Kansas. This is a State position. The applications/resume had to be turned in before a certain date in which mine was. :)

A few days later, I interviewed for the position with the Chief Court Services Officer of that district. I was told after the interview that they still had other applicants to interview and that the most qualified of the applicants would be recalled for 2nd interviews and submit to a lengthy testing process. :cool:

One month later, I receive a letter from that districts Court Administrator advising me that the position that I had interviewed for had been reopened and would remain open until filled. It further stated that I didn't need to reapply for they still had my application on file. :confused: So I immediately sent them an e-mail inquring about the implications of this letter as it related to my interview, etc.

The next day, I receive a telephone call from the Chief Court Services Officer concerning my e-mail. She advised me that, [I]"they had so many qualified applicants that they just couldn't reach a decision so, since they didn't want to rush into things, they decided to reopen the postion until filled."[/I] :confused: No kidding, that is exactly what she told me!

Full disclosure of my health issues were volunteered by me during the interview. I did this because of the 2 1/2 years gap since my last employment.

I have my suspicions as to what is going on here. ;) I guess that I am just looking to see if anyone out there would know why a job opening would be reopened when there are too many qualified applicants who applied and interviewed the first time around?

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

chylidog said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? KANSAS

A few pertinent facts about me - I am a 40 year old caucasian male. I have a B.S. Degree from a four (4) year University in Criminal Justice/Sociology. I have 5+ years experience as a working probation officer and another 5+ years experience in other related fields. In 2002, I became disabled due to kidney failure. I have since had a successful kidney transplant and have been cleared by my doctors to return to work. :eek:

One month ago I turned in a completed job application and resume in response to a job posting for a entry level probation officers position within the State of Kansas. This is a State position. The applications/resume had to be turned in before a certain date in which mine was. :)

A few days later, I interviewed for the position with the Chief Court Services Officer of that district. I was told after the interview that they still had other applicants to interview and that the most qualified of the applicants would be recalled for 2nd interviews and submit to a lengthy testing process. :cool:

One month later, I receive a letter from that districts Court Administrator advising me that the position that I had interviewed for had been reopened and would remain open until filled. It further stated that I didn't need to reapply for they still had my application on file. :confused: So I immediately sent them an e-mail inquring about the implications of this letter as it related to my interview, etc.

The next day, I receive a telephone call from the Chief Court Services Officer concerning my e-mail. She advised me that, [I]"they had so many qualified applicants that they just couldn't reach a decision so, since they didn't want to rush into things, they decided to reopen the postion until filled."[/I] :confused: No kidding, that is exactly what she told me!

Full disclosure of my health issues were volunteered by me during the interview. I did this because of the 2 1/2 years gap since my last employment.

I have my suspicions as to what is going on here. I guess that I am just looking for anothers outside view of this and if there is anything at all that I can do at this point?

Thanks!
Dan
Yes, there is something you can do. You can continue applying for jobs

BelizeBreeze

chylidog said:
Geez - ya' think! I thought I would just apply for this one and this one only. Sort of an all or nothing approach. But I never thought of applying for another job and will have to give it serious consideration. Thanks alot RICHARD!
Richard? What are you smoking? And what the hell did you expect. Our crystal ball is on vacation and I haven't channeled anyone in Kansas for years so how the hell are we going to know WHY the position has been reopened, why you were not selected and what the reason is for not offering you the job on bended knees.

Or maybe, just maybe, your reason why you didn't get the job is turning into an excuse to manufacture a lawsuit.

nawwwww couldn't be. After all, you're so qualified.
Let's see, five years of relevant experience and a 4-year degree. Well, at best that's average. And expect to go up against people with 20 years of experience and a masters.

Yep, MUST BE DISCRIMINATION. :rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

chylidog said:
Geez - ya' think! I thought I would just apply for this one and this one only. Sort of an all or nothing approach. But I never thought of applying for another job and will have to give it serious consideration. Thanks alot RICHARD!
I could state the obvious, like check to see if the job is still posted, check with the civil rights comission, civil service comission etc in your state.
You might also contact the department of rehabiliation, they are often helpful is aiding your reentry following disability, there may also be programs for underemployed. You have the same problem as people with anthropology or mass comm degrees there are few jobs. Your job is pretty much limited to civil service unless you branch out. That was the point BB was making, you will need to make lots of job applications. Are you qualified to teach? Are you qualified as a counselor? If the department of rehab had training available, would you be willing to upgrade your skills?

chylidog

rmet4nzkx *Thanks for the constructive reply. Most of what you suggested has either been looked at or is being utilized. But that wasn't the intent of my question. I have just never ran into a job opening that had to be reopened because there were just too many qualified applicants to choose from? It has since been edited as such. And as for what BB was trying to tell me..........well he is just about 95 I.Q. points below being a smart ass! Thanks again-

BelizeBreeze

chylidog said:
rmet4nzkx *Thanks for the constructive reply. Most of what you suggested has either been looked at or is being utilized. But that wasn't the intent of my question. I have just never ran into a job opening that had to be reopened because there were just too many qualified applicants to choose from? It has since been edited as such. And as for what BB was trying to tell me..........well he is just about 95 I.Q. points below being a smart ass! Thanks again-
Actually, the last time I tested it was 173.4 thank you. And the first job I ever interviewed for after I left 'government' service had more than 5,000 applicants for the one open position.

Of course I got it. But that's beside the point. ;)

chylidog

Just as I thought. Oh yeah, you had asked me what I was smoking earlier - your mom told me to tell you to pick her up another pack of cigs...........I didn't realize it at the time, but it was her last one. ;)

BelizeBreeze

chylidog said:
Just as I thought. Oh yeah, you had asked me what I was smoking earlier - your mom told me to tell you to pick her up another pack of cigs...........I didn't realize it at the time, but it was her last one. ;)
You see? Give a man a rope and he'll usually hang himself.

Now we know that the world owes you something for all the problems you've had so, based on that, immediately file a federal lawsuit against the state of Kansas.

Geeez kid, grow the hell up. So you have a degree. So you have had medical problems. So frikkin' what? You want to keep making excuses go right ahead.

And in the meantime, the people who lost legs, arms and bodily functions who DON'T feel sorry for themselves will take those jobs while you're feeling sorry for yourself. :rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

BelizeBreeze said:
You see? Give a man a rope and he'll usually hang himself.

Now we know that the world owes you something for all the problems you've had so, based on that, immediately file a federal lawsuit against the state of Kansas.

Geeez kid, grow the hell up. So you have a degree. So you have had medical problems. So frikkin' what? You want to keep making excuses go right ahead.

And in the meantime, the people who lost legs, arms and bodily functions who DON'T feel sorry for themselves will take those jobs while you're feeling sorry for yourself. :rolleyes:
Perhaps they want to be in a film project :rolleyes: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=236057

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I've been following this thread with some amusement, but I have to concur. Nothing in your post suggests that anything illegal is transpiring. Trust me, I can verify that many, many positions are receiving literally hundreds of qualified applicants. The fact that you have not received a job offer under the circumstances you suggest does not even remotely mean that discrimination is taking place, which I assume is what you mean. You don't actually say what you think is happening.

tbanks

I recently interviewed for a position at a major company, was told repeatedly that I was an excellent, very qualified candidate, and... surprise!... they're still looking at other candidates and I doubt I'll get the position. It happens. Life goes on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">