• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Your Thoughts**************.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Birdman02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

People at my job have been stealing different kinds of metals, Tonight while I was at work I saw a big pieace of brass in the desk where I keep my back pack. I did not think anything of it. As for my Job as soon As I go in is very busy. I work 3rd shift. So twards the end of the night the boss'es came and got our group and told us to come to the office with all of our belongings. I grabed my backpack right infront of our one boss and just moved the piece of brass a lil bit to get to the handle of my bag. Turns out The boss grabed the brass and took it with him to the office. They suspended me until the investigation was over with. But I never Had any brass in my back pack, Nore left the building with anything. thank you... Brandon

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

People at my job have been stealing different kinds of metals, Tonight while I was at work I saw a big pieace of brass in the desk where I keep my back pack. I did not think anything of it. As for my Job as soon As I go in is very busy. I work 3rd shift. So twards the end of the night the boss'es came and got our group and told us to come to the office with all of our belongings. I grabed my backpack right infront of our one boss and just moved the piece of brass a lil bit to get to the handle of my bag. Turns out The boss grabed the brass and took it with him to the office. They suspended me until the investigation was over with. But I never Had any brass in my back pack, Nore left the building with anything. thank you... Brandon
My first thought? I hope they buy your story. I don't.

jiggy78

Are you suspended without pay? If so, file for unemployment immediately. And don't steal at your next job. Thank you.

commentator

If you are off work for more than 3 or 4 days without pay, assume you have been fired. File for unemployment insurance. If they call you and say come on back, you can always stop pursuing the claim. But any week you are off without pay you are entitled to file for benefits. In order to keep you from receiving the benefits, they have to show they have a good misconduct reason to terminate you. If they try to punish you by not paying you for a while, not letting you work, you have a right to file for unemployment benefits and make them show their proofs that you committed misconduct.

Stealing is considered bad enough to be "gross misconduct" so they do not have to give you warnings or anything. But in order to keep you from drawing, they do have to have reasonable proof that you were guilty. Would there be any of your co workers that would swear it was you who were stealing? Do they have a video tape of you putting things in your bag, that night or previously? Then you are not going to be approved for unemployment insurance benefits.

But if they have only their suspicions and your perhaps suspicious behavior, they may approve you, saying the employer could not prove you did what you were accused of doing. But rest assured, they are fully able to terminate you at will if they want to, even if they do not have valid proof you actually stole anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">