• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Act of god property damage claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ICB2150

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

SCENARIO: Windstorm blew my chimney down and neighbor states that her gutters were damaged. My insurance company, Allstate, reviewed my insurance claim and stated "it was an act of God" and validated my claim and repaired my sustained damages. My insurance company, Allstate, informs my neigbor to file a property damage claim with her insurance company for her property damages. My Allstate agency tells my neigbor also that after she files her claim with her insurance company, only then will my insurance company get involve with her property damage claim.

Neighbor Reaction: My neighbor refused to follow Allstate recommendation.
My neighbor decides to sue me in Small Claims Court for property damages-one year later after the accident. My neighbor claims the falling bricks damaged her gutter. I am claiming the windstorm caused the bricks to fall and possibly damaged neighbor's gutter.

Question: What do I do other then show up in court? Allstate is no longer my insurance agent, and they will not provide me with a letter to take to court stating the above.

Confused and embarrassed

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

SCENARIO: Windstorm blew my chimney down and neighbor states that her gutters were damaged. My insurance company, Allstate, reviewed my insurance claim and stated "it was an act of God" and validated my claim and repaired my sustained damages. My insurance company, Allstate, informs my neigbor to file a property damage claim with her insurance company for her property damages. My Allstate agency tells my neigbor also that after she files her claim with her insurance company, only then will my insurance company get involve with her property damage claim.

Neighbor Reaction: My neighbor refused to follow Allstate recommendation.
My neighbor decides to sue me in Small Claims Court for property damages-one year later after the accident.

Question: What do I do other then show up in court? Allstate is no longer my insurance agent, and they will not provide me with a letter to take to court stating the above.

Confused and embarrassed
They have to provide you with a defense attorney for the suit, because they were the company that handled the claim

send them the summons to appear in court, they should handle it from there.

Ps . I don't think you will loose. it was an act of god, and beyond your control.

Antigone*

They have to provide you with a defense attorney for the suit, because they were the company that handled the claim

send them the summons to appear in court, they should handle it from there.

Ps . I don't think you will loose. it was an act of god, and beyond your control.
The word is lose:rolleyes:

Country Living

**Vent ON ** (BP, not directed at you - just musing.)

There was an article in the local newspaper about "loosing your memory". I just don't understand why the mis-use of this word (loose / loosing / loosen) has become acceptable in our written communications.

• I have loose change in my pocket.
  • My belt is loose.
  • I need to loosen my tie.
  • I'm going to lose my court case
  • I lost my keys.
  • I'm losing weight.
**Vent OFF**

JustAPal00

**Vent ON ** (BP, not directed at you - just musing.)

There was an article in the local newspaper about "loosing your memory". I just don't understand why the mis-use of this word (loose / loosing / loosen) has become acceptable in our written communications.

• I have loose change in my pocket.
  • My belt is loose.
  • I need to loosen my tie.
  • I'm going to lose my court case
  • I lost my keys.
  • I'm losing weight.
**Vent OFF**
Don't forget about there, their, and they're! I agree with those women who picketed the spelling bee.

moburkes

How about your/you're. Drives me f'in nuts.

OP - are you implying that your chimney bricks messed up the neighbor's gutters, or the windstorm? Cause I don't see how you're responsible for the windstorm.

And, yes, you asked Allstate for the wrong thing. You wouldn't need a letter from them. To prove that you were insured at the time of the loss, just show your dec pages as well as the receipt/letter from the paid claim. That proves you were insured. But, instead, you do need to provide them notice that you were sued, and they will provide your defense.

ICB2150

Act of God

Thanks to all for all the wonderful communications regarding my Small Claims Court problem. I will take all legal recommendations to court today. I truly believe communication has nothing to do with grammar or even pronuciation of words.

Ideas of thoughts and comprehension of the spoken word is more important to me then any grammatical rules of thumb, but this is just an opinion from a college graduate.

Loved the quote about the bulls eye painted target and monetary opportunities. Oh! any misspelled words found in this thread i done on purpose.

Wink!

ICB2150

Act of God Clarification Inqury

Please re-read the original thread titled: Act Of God Property Damage Claim.

I answered the clarification question in the original thread.

Clarification: I state and my insurance agency states that it was the windstorm that cause the falling bricks from the chimney. My neigbor states that it was the falling bricks that caused damage to her gutter.

Is this clarification helpful?

Thanks for taking time out from your busy schedule to help me with this legal problem.

Sincerely,

Confused and embarrassed

Country Living

I truly believe communication has nothing to do with grammar or even pronuciation of words.
Ah, you had to know you're giving me another statement for my signature block. :D Thanks! (It's "pronunciation"...)

I'm not convinced bricks from a chimney "just fall" unless there are really high gale-force winds. Has someone from either insurance company come out to see if they were loose due to lack of maintenance on the mortar?

ICB2150

Pronunciation

Glad to oblige.but did you see the "wink". Nevertheless, here is the answer to your question. Yes, matter was investigated and the determination was: Act of God due to windstorm and hail damaged.

Country Living

Yes, I saw the wink. ;) This was simply too good to pass up! I realize you may not understand the honor I've bestowed on you. This is only the second time in my entire membership I've changed my sig line.

Good luck. I'm assuming you sent the subpoena by certified mail return receipt to Allstate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">