• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

additional living expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aj6277

If my policy states that I have one year in additional living expenses coverage can the insurance company refuse to give the full year? I have been in a rental now for only six months. Allstate is trying to kick me out of the rental at the end of the month. They know the insured property is uninhabitable. Can they do this?

I have had to retain an attorney because the settlement Allstate offered is ridiculous.

Antigone*

if my policy states that i have one year in additional living expenses coverage can the insurance company refuse to give the full year? I have been in a rental now for only six months. Allstate is trying to kick me out of the rental at the end of the month. They know the insured property is uninhabitable. Can they do this?

I have had to retain an attorney because the settlement allstate offered is ridiculous.
us law only

aj6277

ecmst12,

Of course it's about money. The insurance company wants to "fix it". 3 contractors and an engineer have said the house has to come down because the tree that came through my house ruined a pier and beam foundation. Contractors will not even touch it. My charm, unfortunately, will not rebuild a house. The attorney said to band-aid it and live there, if possible, otherwise I will have to cover the expenses on a second property (rent,etc.). They are playing hardball. I guess they figure with winter coming I will accept the settlement because there are holes in the house. By the way, I live in Louisiana, 5 hours north of New Orleans. Since Katrina, everyone in the state is having to battle companies for every dime.

Last edited:

moburkes

File a complaint with the department of insurance. No, they are not REQUIRED to give that coverage for a year. It's UP TO 1 year, but no longer than 1 year. Why does the house still have holes? Has your contractor not been doing his job?

aj6277

reply to moburkes

moburkes,

The holes have been boarded up to mitigate damage, however, this was done by friends. Contractors will not touch it because the insurance company wants them to rip walls out and put up new ones. The foundation was ruined. I am on a old pier and beam foundation (concrete block piers). A HUGE pine tree pendulummed right into the side of my house. An engineer said the tree and the high winds shifted the house and many of the piers are cracked. Contractors will not touch it because of the liability. This is from 3 different contractors and they are all independent of me (not friends or family). They all gave written statements saying that they could not do what the insurance company wants them to do.

Last edited:

aj6277

Inspector from where? The insurance company? If so, I trust nothing they say.

They sent an engineer out who never even went up under my house. He took no pictures of the foundation. I guess he did not want to give negative evidence to the insurance company. So, I had to hire an engineer out of my own pocket. The insurance company said to do this and then the engineers would be called in for an arbitration. After I paid for an engineer, the insurance company said...we're sorry, arbitration is only for victims of Hurricane Katrina (I live in LA).

That is like me, a nurse, telling a patient...I'm sorry that medication is only for people who live in Nevada. You are SOL.

Banned_Princess

I can only assume that the reason the INS co. has stopped the payments for additional living expenses because you are not doing anything to fix your house. But insurance companies are notorious, and all you can really do is complain as I describe below

If the house is unlivable you could just settle with the company as a total loss of the house, sell the property and be on your way to a new house.

The inspector mentioned here, was the city / county's inspector. There is one in LA isn't there? they issue certifications of occupancies, and investigates housing code violations.. no affiliation with you or the company.

Definitely I would submit my complaint to the state's insurance department. Even though they are probably overwhelmed with complaints right now, its best if you do so anyway, then do as I mentioned above because it might be a good long while before the Dept gets back to you on your complaint.

moburkes

Inspector from where? The insurance company? If so, I trust nothing they say.

They sent an engineer out who never even went up under my house. He took no pictures of the foundation. I guess he did not want to give negative evidence to the insurance company. So, I had to hire an engineer out of my own pocket. The insurance company said to do this and then the engineers would be called in for an arbitration. After I paid for an engineer, the insurance company said...we're sorry, arbitration is only for victims of Hurricane Katrina (I live in LA).

That is like me, a nurse, telling a patient...I'm sorry that medication is only for people who live in Nevada. You are SOL.
Yep, HOUSING inspector. Ya know, the department which issues permits, determines if houses can be occupied or should be condemned, etc. Call them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">