• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I covered after my father's passing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dhscatcher13

My father passed away 5 months ago. I am currently living in his home, paying the house note as well as the homeowners insurance. Both the house note and insurance are in his name. If the house were to be damaged would the damages still be covered even though he is deceased?

adjusterjack

My father passed away 5 months ago. I am currently living in his home, paying the house note as well as the homeowners insurance. Both the house note and insurance are in his name. If the house were to be damaged would the damages still be covered even though he is deceased?
In this case it really doesn't matter what state although telling us is always a good idea and you had to intentionally ignore the question.

That being said there is a contractual obligation that you notify the insurance company of your father's death and the change in occupancy. Many insurance companies will allow the policy to continue until the next expiration or until the probate has been completed.

It's when you don't tell the insurance company of a material change that you could have a serious coverage problem under the Misrepresentation, Concealment, and Fraud provision of every homeowners policy.

I suggest you call the insurance company ASAP and advise of the change and get the appropriate changes made to the policy, if necessary.

And if you haven't started probate yet, I suggest you get on it. The longer you wait, the bigger the problems and the greater the cost to fix something that you've broken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">