• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Animal Infestation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hoons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Our insurance doesn't cover damage from infestations, but says nothing about infestations there are a direct result of claimable damage that does occur. Does homeowners insurance generally cover this? The infestation was discovered after the claim was paid. The reason I don't just ask them, I thought I'd check here first because if this is generally viewed as frivolous or excessive, I don't want to be flagged by my insurer as someone that may potentially try to make bogus claims (if they do such a thing).

justalayman

a little explanation of how the covered damage would have allowed the infestation.

In most situations, you have a duty to mitigate your damages which means you must act to prevent any further damaged that might be caused due to the original damage. If you fail to mitigate, you cannot claim the added damages since they are, in effect, your fault.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Our insurance doesn't cover damage from infestations, but says nothing about infestations there are a direct result of claimable damage that does occur. Does homeowners insurance generally cover this? The infestation was discovered after the claim was paid. The reason I don't just ask them, I thought I'd check here first because if this is generally viewed as frivolous or excessive, I don't want to be flagged by my insurer as someone that may potentially try to make bogus claims (if they do such a thing).
**A: what kind of animal are you talking about? Homeowner's insurance does not cover damage caused by elephants.

Hoons

I'm sorry I wasn't specific. A hailstorm caused significant damage to my house. The damage included the vinyl siding on one side, a small vent on the same side and cosmetic damage to several roof vents. The small vent on the side of the house had 4 small horizontal flaps covering it. After the storm, two were missing. After we received payment to repair the siding, vent and some outdoor furniture, we discovered birds had entered the house through the broken vent and are in the ceiling above the master bathroom. From what I can tell, it is a large family of crows and they seem to be deep into the ceiling.

Had it not been for the storm, they would not be there, so I'm wondering if in general, something like this would be typically covered since it was a direct result of the storm.

justalayman

Had it not been for the storm, they would not be there, so I'm wondering if in general, something like this would be typically covered since it was a direct result of the storm.
most likely not. Your failure to block off any openings such as that is a failure to mitigate damages.

moburkes

Your insurance company won't flag you. But, I can't imagine how the infestation is covered, since you didn't mitigate the damage.

Hoons

Yeah the little creatures did it so fast. They were there when the adjuster came out to look at the house just days after the storm. I know this because we heard the noises in the ceiling, but didn't know what it was (attributed it to compromised siding crackling in the wind). Of course he would have no way of knowing they were there since he never entered the house (inspected while we were at work). It wasn't until the day after I received the check that I realized those noises were nasty little critters building a colony.

Thanks all for your quick responses. Much appreciated.

HomeGuru

Yeah the little creatures did it so fast. They were there when the adjuster came out to look at the house just days after the storm. I know this because we heard the noises in the ceiling, but didn't know what it was (attributed it to compromised siding crackling in the wind). Of course he would have no way of knowing they were there since he never entered the house (inspected while we were at work). It wasn't until the day after I received the check that I realized those noises were nasty little critters building a colony.

Thanks all for your quick responses. Much appreciated.
**A: good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">