• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assault on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jusjayoo2x

new york if you are assaulted by a homeowners son on their property and the son is arrested are you still able to sue the home owners insurance ?

jusjayoo2x

no my brother went to pick up our cousin cause someone was messing with her at a party and my brother was talking to the father and the son came up reached around from the back and hit him with an object and broke his jaw for no reason now he has 40,000 in med bills that have to be paid for since it happened in the kid that assaulted my brother backyard we need to know if we can sue the homeowners for the med bills

justalayman

the first thing I would have done is called the police.

insurance often does not cover intentional actions so the homeowners insurance might not cover the acts. You could sue the homeowners but there isn't enough info to determine if they would have any liability. You should obviously sue the person that hit him though.

ecmst12

The injured party can sue the person who did the injuring. This will NOT be covered by insurance. Insurance does not cover damage caused by a person intentionally committing a crime. There may be a crime victim's fund in your area that can provide some assistence, and you can ask the judge to add restitution onto the criminal's sentence.

If the police were not involved....then they need to be. Hopefully it's not too late for justice to be served.

jusjayoo2x

the police were called and a report was made but not till after my brother came back home with my cousin thank you guys for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">