• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this bad faith?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TomDa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

On 7/21/16 both my wife and I were served with a law suit. The matter involves a property damage only car accident; my wife struck the back garage wall of our townhouse as she pulling in. This happened on 12/1/14, so more than a year and a half passed before being sued. The damage was $8k and this was paid to me by our homeowners master insurance plan - Millers Mutual Insurance Co - without incident. We also have condo (interior damage) & auto ins with State Farm, Millers insurance, as our HOA master plan, we required to pay.

Upon reading the law suit I’ve learned that it’s Millers position that they believe they are subrogated to Ridgefield Terrace (my development, my HOA and of which I am a part) and have sued my wife and I for the $8K settlement paid to us back in December, 2014. I have subsequently received an original copy of the Ridgefield Terrace insurance documents and have discovered that unit owners (me) have a “waver by the insurer of the right of subrogation.” This is stated in clear, unambiguous language. It appears to me that the law suit was drafted and served without any understanding of this waver.

Since this law suit is hurtful to my wife and I, and filled with inaccuracies regarding an accident investigation that never happened, does this indicate bad faith?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

On 7/21/16 both my wife and I were served with a law suit. The matter involves a property damage only car accident; my wife struck the back garage wall of our townhouse as she pulling in. This happened on 12/1/14, so more than a year and a half passed before being sued. The damage was $8k and this was paid to me by our homeowners master insurance plan - Millers Mutual Insurance Co - without incident. We also have condo (interior damage) & auto ins with State Farm, Millers insurance, as our HOA master plan, we required to pay.

Upon reading the law suit I’ve learned that it’s Millers position that they believe they are subrogated to Ridgefield Terrace (my development, my HOA and of which I am a part) and have sued my wife and I for the $8K settlement paid to us back in December, 2014. I have subsequently received an original copy of the Ridgefield Terrace insurance documents and have discovered that unit owners (me) have a “waver by the insurer of the right of subrogation.” This is stated in clear, unambiguous language. It appears to me that the law suit was drafted and served without any understanding of this waver.

Since this law suit is hurtful to my wife and I, and filled with inaccuracies regarding an accident investigation that never happened, does this indicate bad faith?
The HOA (an entity) has a waiver...YOU don't have a waiver.

LdiJ

I am a little confused. Are you saying that your wife did damage to your property (condo and garage) your insurance covered the damage, the damage was repaired using the money, and now your insurance company is suing you saying that the money should have been paid to your HOA instead of you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">