• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued as acting agent/rental manager

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikedd

What is the name of your state (on--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My uncle rented a house and was sued because the tenant was injured due to a broken staiir and a fall. He did not maintain the building for a long time. I was collecting the rent each month from the tenant because my Uncle lived in Europe. I was technically the manager. I collected the rent. I made a few repairs when the tenant called. I aso made repairs when the city's building departmant called for a building inspection.

I did not inspect the property or make any repairs the 2 years prior to the tenant's injury. The tenant called about some repairs. I told my Uncle to find a permanent repair person due to my work schedule. The tenant was never behind on his rent:

Question is: Does my homeowner's insurance cover me because I am being sued?
I was the manager of the rental house. I am being told I was the acting agent of the house my uncle rented. I lived at a seperate location. I lived in a condo I bought. I had Homeowner's insurance for the condo I bought. It was standard insurance.:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">