• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bike stolen shortly after burglary. Add it to same claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jthoni

I live in WA state.

Our house was robbed while we were out of the country recently. Among the things I lost was a bag that contained the key to my bike locker (which was empty). When I returned a couple weeks later, not having my locker, when I went to work, I locked to a bike rack. After work, I found my lock had been cut, and my bike stolen.

I am filling out the police report for the house burglary. These are two separate crimes, but for me, they are related (i.e. if the key had not been stolen, I would not have lost my bike). I am wondering if I can claim the bike on the insurance claim for the house, or would this be fraudulent? I don't want to have to make a separate claim for the bike as it would probably mean a second deductible. I have, however, filed separate police reports as I thought I saw the bike on CraigsList (which turned out to not be the case).

What should I do?

Thanks,
JT

JustAPal00

No. It was a seperate incident. You could have found a different way to either secure your bike or get to work that day if you fealt it wasn't safe.

moburkes

No. It was a seperate incident. You could have found a different way to either secure your bike or get to work that day if you fealt it wasn't safe.
Agreed. After the theft it was YOUR responsibility to mitigate your damages. Since the key was stolen (in your statement here you said "lost", but apparently you meant stolen), you were responsible for securing the replacement key to mitigate your damages.

jthoni

Thanks for the replies all. I will add a little clarification here:

- I understand that these are two separate incidents.
- I understand I was responsible for the security of the bike (I did not feel that it was insecure when I locked it to the rack. Lesson learned).

My question was more to the point of whether or not it was advisable for me to "lump them together" for my own convenience, or whether this constitutes some kind of insurance fraud.

thanks

moburkes

Thanks for the replies all. I will add a little clarification here:

- I understand that these are two separate incidents.
- I understand I was responsible for the security of the bike (I did not feel that it was insecure when I locked it to the rack. Lesson learned).

My question was more to the point of whether or not it was advisable for me to "lump them together" for my own convenience, or whether this constitutes some kind of insurance fraud.

thanks
Yes, it is fraud. You are responsible for your deductible a 2nd time. They are not part of the same occurrence, as defined by the insurance contract you agreed to when you purchased the policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">