• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Anderson Window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lkhNewYork

What is the name of your state? New York

Sunday Night, some vandals threw a rock through my front window.
The window is actually 5 Anderson casement windows 20'' by 5' each and were installed in the mid 1960's. The rock went through the center one.

I found out that the glass pane cannot be replaced, you have to replace the entire unit. A contractor came over this morning said that in order to replace the center unit, they would have to cut away on both sides and it wouldn't look good with 40 year old windows on the sides and a new one in the middle. He said that to replace the entire window with the exact same thing would be about $4,400. I would be willing to pick something not quite so expensive but of good quality.

I haven't heard from my adjuster yet, but I can bet they're going to try to get out of this as cheaply as possible.

If anyone can tell me what I am entitled to, I would greatly appreciate it.

Am I entitled to replacement of the same brand? Quality? Etc...

moburkes

Why do you think, before you have spoken to the adjuster, that they are going to screw you? Why, if you think that, are you with this particular insurance company? Why haven't you changed companies yet?

lkhNewYork

A). I work for an insurance company.

B). My vehicle was hit in 1992 for which I was not at fault and the other driver's insurance company made it very difficult for me to collect and tried to get my insurance company to accept a percentage of blame. I was driving straight in the right lane on a 4 lane highway and the other driver tried to make a left turn across 2 lanes and hit me.

C). It's been two days and I still haven't been contacted by the adjuster.

moburkes

A). I work for an insurance company.

B). My vehicle was hit in 1992 for which I was not at fault and the other driver's insurance company made it very difficult for me to collect and tried to get my insurance company to accept a percentage of blame. I was driving straight in the right lane on a 4 lane highway and the other driver tried to make a left turn across 2 lanes and hit me.

C). It's been two days and I still haven't been contacted by the adjuster.
I'm not sure what your post is, in adding this part, but if you have questions you can ASK your insurance company, or post it in another thread.

You are not the only customer of that adjuster. You seem smart enough to be able to pick up the phone and call your adjuster, or call their supervisor.

xylene

Mo, I think she is relating experiences with insurance companies that form the basis of her mistrust. In fact, that seems to be a rather direct respnse to your query.

Original poster.

I STRONGLY URGE you to talk to another contract, ideally one skilled in restoration.

Glass can be replaced in just about any window, especially a top quality wood Anderson winow.

A person of skill can replace that glass and it will look perfect, like nothing even happened.

My grandmothers home had very similar windows, and the glass was replaced on two occasion that I know of.

Lastly, it is ALWAYS possible to replace the entire sash: either by using a used sash taking from architectural salvage, or having a new sash fabricated by a skilled carpenter or by Anderson themselves (although the Anderson option would be very $$$)

If your contractor is telling you you need a need SET of windows because a pane is broken, well that contract doing one of two things (or both)

1- Lying to you to keep the work, but not wanting to admit that he is incompetent and can't do the job properly "Yeah... ah... that is special wood that we can cut so the glass can't be replaced..." utter BS

2- Lying to inflate the cost since insurance is covering it.

Call an expert, not some local schmuck who happens to INSTALL anderson windows (note - installing windows, even top quality does not mean this yahoo is any kind of master finish carpenter who is also tops in glazier skill. That is the guy you need.

moburkes

Poster only stated that they WORK for an insurance company. Not that they work for the insurance company that insures her house. Not even that they work for the insurance company that insures their vehicle, or the insurance company of the driver that hit her. So, potentially, we could be talking about 3-4 different insurance companies here. So, I still don't understand the relevance. I guess I need it spelled out to me.

You did give good advice. I've never had windows replaced, so I know nothing about them.

And, if the OP works for the same insurance company that he feels is shady, than THAT is even more ridiculous than to just assume that insurance companies are inherently shady.

I have never worked for a company that I thought was shady. And, while so MANY people hate insurance companies, and question all of the money that they make, no one questions the amount of money that HOme Depot makes, or the lottery, or whatever. They ONLY question how much money the insurance companies make in the stock market. I don't get it.

lkhNewYork

Wow! I didn't want to start an argument here. I am just trying to find out what I am entitile to and have had a bad experience dealing with an insurance company before.

The company I work for deals only in medical malpractice and I know that the claims people try to deny as much as possible.

My windows are over 40 years old and the contractor stated that in order to replace the center unit which was the one broken, that he would have to cut away at the sides of the windows adjacent. Not only that, the window would no longer have a uniform look.

tammy8

Wow! I didn't want to start an argument here. I am just trying to find out what I am entitile to and have had a bad experience dealing with an insurance company before.
You had a bad experience 15 years ago:rolleyes: . A lot has changed.

My windows are over 40 years old and the contractor stated that in order to replace the center unit which was the one broken, that he would have to cut away at the sides of the windows adjacent. Not only that, the window would no longer have a uniform look.
Is it not time to replace those old windows:D ?

Honestly if a car was hit in the rear, then no insurance would pay to repaint the entire thing, only the covered area. Same applies with homeowner insurance.

xylene

Ma'am your current contractor is a ham handed idiot.

What you need to accpet is that what he is sayings is actually:

"I am not capable of fixing your window properly"

"I would rather fix it the way that gives me a 4400 dollar job"

There is absolutely ZERO reason why this one broken casement sash can't be replaced.

CALL A COMPETENT CARPENTER WHO KNOWS GLAZING.

Demand an explanation for exactly why the glass cannot be replaced.

Your are being snookered, and soon you will have a reason not to like contractors!

lkhNewYork

Update - I was right!

Just to let you all know, I was correct with my concerns about my adjuster trying to screw me. He just called and said that he found someone to replace just the glass. I called the company he wants to hire and was told that they would take apart my frame and install a piece of "generic" glass. I told them no, these Andersen windows have been insured with the same company for 25 years and I want an Andersen replacement.

As for those who say that just the sash can be replaced, I put in a call to the contractor to ask him that very question. I will post the response when I hear back.

moburkes

Just to let you all know, I was correct with my concerns about my adjuster trying to screw me. He just called and said that he found someone to replace just the glass. I called the company he wants to hire and was told that they would take apart my frame and install a piece of "generic" glass. I told them no, these Andersen windows have been insured with the same company for 25 years and I want an Andersen replacement.

As for those who say that just the sash can be replaced, I put in a call to the contractor to ask him that very question. I will post the response when I hear back.
And, then you'll be back to tell us that you changed insurance companies, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">